Freezing Pies

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
If there is another harvest like what came off the peach tree this year, I need better ideas.

Is freezing them as pie filling, okay? I may be able to get DW to make some crusts but their ripening comes during the busy season. Trees are amazing things for production in the space they require, don't you think?

It takes us several days to get thru a pie, fresh or thawed. After there other fruits we might be able to do this with? I'm tired of rhubarb pie fairly quickly - what about if there are strawberries?

Steve
enjoying previously frozen apple pie ... as I type :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you mean freezing peaches in pie size portions with everything there so all you have to do is dump it in the crust and bake I would say for sure that would work great.
You could even freeze them in the pie pan until solid and then when you are ready to bake just plop the preshaped filling in the crust and there you go! Bobs your uncle!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've frozen peaches both as filling and as an assembled pie, crust and all. It works out just fine. If you make the whole pie, let it thaw in the fridge 12-24 hrs. I line the pie dish with plastic wrap and freeze the pie, then pop the frozen pie out of the dish and wrap in freezer paper. Put it back in the dish for the thawing part.

A cooked strawberry pie might work, but not for a "fresh" one. The berries are mostly water, so they go to mush when they are thawed. I would cook the strawberries on the stovetop first with starch and sugar until it gels, because it may not set up right baked directly. Too watery.

We freeze strawberries to put in our oatmeal. They're really good for that, or else to make freezer jam.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So when you freeze the whole pie like that the crust doesn't go to mush @journey11 ? I just made a couple of berry pies using frozen berries (per the recipe) and the crust was terrible. Just ....well, awful. :sick

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Um... there is a whole section of frozen pizzas in my grocery.

I would guess that the only problem would be burning the crust when re-heating.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hum... On the Pizza Hut box, there are instructions for re-heating pizza (I've never actually READ it since I adore cold pizza) but I would think that if you froze a cooked pizza - then thawed it in the fridge - it woudl be exactly the same as re-heating a Pizza Hut pizza the next day.
As a matter of fact - tonight is my night to cook and I have a TON of other stuff to do. I think I'm going to give it a go. I'll pick up a extra pizza and freeze it, then let you know how the re-heat goes next week.
4chsmu1[1].gif
This is an experiment I can REALLY get into!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
So when you freeze the whole pie like that the crust doesn't go to mush @journey11 ? I just made a couple of berry pies using frozen berries (per the recipe) and the crust was terrible. Just ....well, awful. :sick

I guess it is all the shortening in there. I've not had a mushy one. I have a favorite pie crust recipe too, called German No-Fail pie crust that hasn't failed me yet. ;) I wouldn't think that would make too much difference though over a regular pie crust. I've done a lot of chicken and turkey pot pies frozen whole too with no problems. I would think that frozen berries were too cold to properly cook up the starch or flour into a gel while the pie was in the oven, but I think the crust would brown sooner and you'd have to take it out so it wouldn't get burnt, even though the filling didn't cook. That would be my guess.

Latest posts