Freezing salsa and then Canning

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The wire insert of my water bath canner is all rusted and I haven't gotten around to buying a new one. Can I still use it to water bath my salsa? Wasn't sure if the rust would leak into my jars.

If not, can I make my salsa, freeze it in pint jars, and then can later? I actually prefer this since I leave for Bali tonight and getting a little stressed getting everything done.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear that...I like to have the whole day free and clear before I drag out canning supplies.

You could fold a dish towel in the bottom of your pan to cushion the jars. Pint or quart should be heavy enough not to move when the water boils (I wouldn't do half-pints). Then lift them out with the tongs when they're done.

I have frozen salsa when I was in a hurry. It comes out alright, but will be a little watery. I've not tried to can it again afterwards. You'd have to bring it back up to boiling in order to pack the jars. Might come out more overcooked than you want.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear that...I like to have the whole day free and clear before I drag out canning supplies.

You could fold a dish towel in the bottom of your pan to cushion the jars. Pint or quart should be heavy enough not to move when the water boils (I wouldn't do half-pints). Then lift them out with the tongs when they're done.

I have frozen salsa when I was in a hurry. It comes out alright, but will be a little watery. I've not tried to can it again afterwards. You'd have to bring it back up to boiling in order to pack the jars. Might come out more overcooked than you want.
Are you saying to can without the rack? I'm afraid of jars hitting each other and breaking.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you saying to can without the rack? I'm afraid of jars hitting each other and breaking.

Mary

Yeah, that's part of what the rack is good for, to keep them apart, especially when you lift them out. They shouldn't move much though. A dish towel will work in a pinch. You could still use your rack if you want. The jars will need wiped down, but the rust won't get inside.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, my rack for canning, water bath or pressure, is not that insert. It's simply a disc with holes and an edge to raise it off the bottom of the canner a bit. It's surprisingly hard to find a decent picture online but maybe this will give you an idea. The jars just sit in it, not separated by anything. Half-pints, pints, and quarts, water bath and pressure canning.

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/Pressure-Cooker-and-Canner-Racks.htm

Personally I would not worry about the rust leaking in but I tend to not worry about a lot of things.

In your situation I'd freeze it and can it later, just because of time. That's the way I do my tomato sauce anyway, I reduce my tomatoes and put them through the strainer, then freeze them just to make more room in the freezer. When I'm ready to actually make the sauce, usually spaghetti sauce, I unfreeze it and finish cooking them down to the right consistency. it can take forever to cook them down where they are sauce and not still liquid.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If no one used their wire rack due to rust I'm afraid there would have been a lot of canning over the years that didn't happen. :D Drop some vinegar in your water and can per usual, shouldn't stain your jars but what if it did? Can't hurt what's inside.

Enjoy Bali and take pics for us!!!! Always wanted to go there..... :love

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridge, my tamale steamer has one of those racks.

I decided to just use the rusted rack for now and can them. I prefer canning them since I may give some away. The rack is handy since it hooks on the side and I can load it up and then slowly put it down.

I'm going to need that vacation for sure. I wasn't planning on canning the day I leave but decided not to just freeze the tomatoes. Under a little stress. Why does something so simple as canning have to take so long?

Nyboy, going for 2 weeks.

Mary

Latest posts