friend or foe?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spotted this in the pines near the chicken coop yesterday.
Anyone know what it is?

IMG_20170427_194440976.jpg

The black blur is Chaos the barn cat - included for scale.
It stands about 12-18" high.

IMG_20170427_194432252.jpg

Looks like a fern.. but not quite.....

IMG_20170427_194456202.jpg

close up of branch/leaf tip

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, mostly shady. It's an area of the yard that was left uncleared - just fenced around. Several years ago I borrowed some goats to clear out all the briars and little shrubs ... and have mostly managed to keep it that way. This particular section is going to become part of the chicken run this summer. So if this is something I might want to keep, it is going to need to be moved soon.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
FANTASTIC idea - IF you can temporarily fence the area secure enough to keep them contained and safe.
The area I had was only about 100' by 50' and inside my fenced in back yard. I put up temp electric fence to keep them OUT of the area around the house and turned them loose in the yard. The area was so dense that you couldn't see the fence behind it. Within a couple of weeks (I only had 2 adults and a baby) they had stripped EVERYTHING from about 6' down. It looked like a park!
There are services springing up all over the place that rent out goats just for this purpose. Usually they are responsible for everything - containing them, delivering them, picking them up, providing whatever they need while there...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It looks a lot to me like fringed bleeding heart. Exima.
But after looking at "wild carrot" images it resembles that also.

Wild carrot is also known as Queen Annes Lace, which I happen to like.
I know it can spread, but it's not a menace here. A sniff test should be able to determine if that's what it is. It will smell carrotty.

Latest posts