From my back porch

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some metal shelves next to my back stairs for my plant starts, rescues, and those that can't do full sun. 2 of them were "donated" clippings from knocked over plants at the local grocery store, the 3rd is from a start I got at a garage sale late last year. I have since learned it's called a spiderwort. Such an odd name for such delicate pretty flowers (the foliage is nice too!).

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
like injunjoes nursery .. very pretty flowers and pictures! i think i've seen the yellow one in the grocery store before, the others are new to me .. thanks for sharing!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Your last two plants are the same as my purple plants seen here.
I know them as Purple Passion. The type you have I have heard called Wandering Jew, but there is another plant that is also called that.

100_7024.jpg

Same family of plant just yours are lacking the color in the leaf.

You can have these everywere if you want. I would put them in different light conditions to see if it changes there leaf colors.

When I searched spiderwort I came up with that flower I posted as a weed.

Joe

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
injunjoe said:
Your last two plants are the same as my purple plants seen here.
I know them as Purple Passion. The type you have I have heard called Wandering Jew, but there is another plant that is also called that.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/injunjoetortman/plants/100_7024.jpg
Same family of plant just yours are lacking the color in the leaf.

You can have these everywere if you want. I would put them in different light conditions to see if it changes there leaf colors.

When I searched spiderwort I came up with that flower I posted as a weed.

Joe
Well, see, I thought 3 petals with the viney looking type thing perhaps it was a spiderwort but I see you are right. Mine DID have totally purple leaves but I brought it in during the winter and the leaves slowly lost their purple color. Since being back outside they are slowly going purplr again. I looked up Purple Jew and came across the "Tradescantia pallida" or Purple Heart which is sometimes called Purple Jew....

ETA: apparently it is of the spiderwort family as well - http://www.floridata.com/ref/T/trad_pal.cfm

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Having the Botanical name is great, common names are like hints.
I have seen plants called so many different things depending were the person came from.

That's why I mentioned light conditions. It should be pretty next spring. I throw these things all around and I swear they root in mid air!

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was thinking I might keep it part shade like it is - the foliage is very nice with just the edge of purple. Makes the flowers that much more constrasting :) And yes, you're right. That stuff roots very easily!

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like them in hanging baskets with other colors. I like how they get leggy so fast and hang over the pot while the other stuff is still growing upward.

I will do a container garden thread soon,or later.

Time to get in the garden and
AutumLeavesSweep2.gif

Latest posts