Fruit Trees Can You Spray To Early ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
The label on bottle says late winter early spring for 1st spray. This has not been a normal winter, mostly above freezing and little snow. This Sunday going to hit 60 degrees, I would like to spend the day giving fruit trees their 1st spray. Late winter early spring usually about 6 weeks away. Would spraying Sunday just be a waste of time and chemicals ?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first spraying is usually a dormant oil spray. That can be done anytime the weather warms enough to get outside February on. The first orchard spray other than dormant oil is dependent upon watching for leaf swelling, budding, and petal drop at the minimum.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Apple, peach, pear and crabapple, copper spray
I couldn't find copper for my peach and nectarine spray but I found one by Ortho for peach leaf curl. I sprayed in November and last week. Just made it in the nick of time before the buds opened! I'm hoping it works.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sprayed dormant oil and copper last week on apple, peach, plum, and cherry. That was just in time for the plums, they are breaking bud this week. Forsythia and hawthorne are blooming. Man, what an early spring.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Timing is Everything
Copper sulfate sprays are typically applied during the dormant season of the fruit tree, which is generally in late fall or winter months. The University of California Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners Napa County website suggests applying two applications -- once in November and a second treatment in February at the bud swell stage -- of fungicide for effective control against diseases. They also state that they second application can be eliminated if the season has been dry but excessive rainfall in the spring may require a third application before the bloom stage. Keep in mind, however, that copper compounds applied after bloom may cause fruit russetting, according to the University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources website.

Forsythia are not in bloom in New York yet? It may not be too early, but I'd wait a bit longer for signs of real spring not just this beautiful weather we've been lucky to have.

Latest posts