Fruit trees near Leach fields?

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Is it a good or really bad idea to plant fruit trees in or just in front of the septic leach field?

popcornpuppy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I don't know if this answer will help, but I hope it offers something. :D
I have raspberry bushes that grow wild in my front yard at the end of my leech field. They are the biggest strongest plants in my yard. The taste of the berries is not put off from the leech field. I let them grow as long as they do not grow into the leech field, and stay on the edge of it.
I think trees would be a slightly different story because you don't want the roots to interfere the the leech field.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bear in mind that the root system of tree can be 2-3x the diameter of its dripline (the extent of its branches). Although the majority of the larger roots are within the limits of the dripline.

Unless you are feeling cavalier about the potential costs of having to dig up and repair or even *replace* your leachfield, I would not personally plant anything closer to the edge of the leachfield than the MATURE plant's dripline; and further is better. Fruit trees are not *especially* bad for deep or water-seeking roots, but they do have roots and those roots do go *somewhere*.

Mind, it also makes a difference how your system is built, how old it is and how the leachfield is constructed and how deep. Also how SURE you are that you know exactly where the field *is*.

Still, given that repair or replacement is typically in the $5-15,000 range, I myself prefer to err on the side of elsewhere ;)

JMHO,

Pat

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, the system is 30 years old, we had to have it pumped out last year the guy said the pipes to the field must have been blocked - probably still are.

The area I would plant the trees would be a good 30-40 feet from the tank itself, and there are trees even closer than that at the moment, we have a couple of walnuts and some pines that are closer.

Its just such a perfect spot, way out in front of the house, it kinda dips down a little so the tree's would be slightly protected from winds, and yet get the full sun.

If I get a chance I will try take pictures later or tomorrow.

I have another place that the tree's could be planted, but its not as perfect as this spot and somewhat shaded by a couple of maples.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5354&p=5

Post #42 of that thread kinda has a picture of the area, my daughter on a swing hanging from the walnut tree.

The walnut tree is kinda at the edge of the leach field to the east of it. The area behind where my kiddo is swinging - the grassy area is where I have idea's to plant the fruit trees.

:D

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
The area I would plant the trees would be a good 30-40 feet from the tank itself, and there are trees even closer than that at the moment, we have a couple of walnuts and some pines that are closer.
Well, doesn't sound to me like it'd be a problem, then :) Dunno how close to the walnuts you want to plant fruit trees, of course.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Lavender44

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm not to sure. I know some trees have roots extend pretty far and if they get to where there is any moisture, they will definitely invade the pipes and clog them up!

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted them already in a different spot, just seemed to be a better option to have them on the west side of the house in an open area, protected by some other tree's.

So far so good, all have shot out leaves and look really happy - cept the dead stick Almond! I have sent the company their packing slip back and asked for a replacement for that one!

Latest posts