Garden Huckleberry/Black Nightshade

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Soooooo, is it edible or not?

We were picking rock in the hayfield last night and I found a huge patch or these berries, which I was 99% sure were Garden Huckleberry. Tim freaked out telling me that its "nightshade" and it'll kill me (this coming from the man who also freaks out because morel mushrooms will kill me....) so I went home and got out my books and sure enough, its identical to Black Nightshade/Garden Huckleberry. But, I still get mixed reports on edibility.... and I couldnt find anything saying that there is a look-alike plant that will really kill me. So, while I am really eager to try making jam with these before he hays that portion of the field, Im leary...should I?

hypnofrogstevie

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nightshade also consist of many plants not just one. Here is a list of "nightshade plants" The family is informally known as the nightshade or potato family.

The family includes the Datura or Jimson weed, eggplant, mandrake, deadly nightshade or belladonna, capsicum (paprika, chile pepper), potato, tobacco, tomato, and petunia.

LINK: http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles/s/solanaceae.htm

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm going to pick them, and take pics to get to the bottom of this. The closest extension office is 45 miles away so I doubt I can have one of them just pop over...

Latest posts