Garden Life in the New Year!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Time flies like an arrow,

fruit flies like a banana.

~ Groucho Marx

What did you learn about timing in last year's garden?
How will you apply this new knowledge in 2008?

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Steve's digits (& all the rest of him :frow

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You'd think after 35 years I'd learn about timing, and, I suppose, intellectually I have, but applying that knowledge somehow escapes me every year :hu

I am always behind the eight ball, mainly due to work commitments. Last summer I had a bit more time and got things in the ground in a more appropriate fashion, but every year is different! I recall there weren't as many plants languishing in pots for weeks on end, at least! :watering

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All I learned was that when I went away for 3 weeks, my mom claimed that she had to do more work taking care of my stuff I left here than when I was in diapers. So this year I am going to try to minimize labor required so that when I head out for a month or so, she won't have to do as much.

henrietta23

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Time flies like an arrow,

fruit flies like a banana.

~ Groucho Marx

What did you learn about timing in last year's garden?
How will you apply this new knowledge in 2008?

Happy New Year, Everyone!

Steve's digits (& all the rest of him :frow
After 18 years of gardening as an adult, I'm still winging it. Part of the reason I'm here is to learn this stuff from you guys!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something I learned is that I can outmaneuver mildew in zucchini by planting zucchini seeds late. If the seed goes in the ground by the 4th of July, the plants will have time to develop squash before the 1st frost.

If I make this planting in July but I've seeded a mildew-resistant zucchini in May, I will need to kill one or the other of these plants with my bare hands by the end of August, at the latest!

Steve
:th

Latest posts