Garden slugs

NHN

Sprout
Reaction score
I live in Colorado and they are a huge problem. They devour lettuce and green beans before they even have a chance to grow. I have tried beer, various ways of catching them etc which is very tedious and does not seem to help

Any suggestions?

:mad:

pjkobulnicky

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
NHN ... there is a VERY good product out there. It goes by many trade names but it is iron phosphate. It is basically just a harmless salt but it is terrific. I used to be driven crazy by slugs and now I have very few problems.

Slug Magic is one trade name (Ortho's I think). Just sprinkle the little extruded pellets on your garden. It will not harm animals and it can be used on veggies up to the day of harvest.

My guess is that it is not more widely used because they pump the price up (a little goes a long way) and because you don't want to put too much iron or salt into your garden. But, at these application rates ... no problem.

I do, by the way, garden organically and this is just a simple salt. Slugs love it to death.

Paul

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I salt mine too, but be careful as you can sterilize the soil and nothing will grow if there is to much.

Latest posts