garden swing help

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need some construction help please.

YEARS ago my husband custom made a porch swing for my Mom. Well, they are both gone now and I found out a couple of weeks ago that the swing had blown over years ago and broke the top piece of the a-frame.. and so has been sitting on the ground. :eek:
I heard through the grapevine that my Dad was asking around to see if someone would come get that 'junk' out of his yard, :somad so I slipped down there last weekend and brought it home.
The swing is going to need A LOT of repair, but I think that enough is good to make it worthwhile.
My question is about hanging it.
It was originally on an a-frame much like this one (minus the bottom support)
aframe swing.jpg

None of the places that I'd like to put it are flat. So I was thinking about putting a couple of 4x4's in the ground - something like this
swing2.jpg

But - the swing is massive. Everything Bob built was 2x6's and 4x4's. (although, I'm sure the swing frame is at least part 2x4). I'm not sure a couple of 4x4's with 2x6's at the top will hold that big swing PLUS a couple of (ahem..) generous rear ends.

I've been told that I might need at least 6x6's for the posts. And that even then they will probably start wallering out the holes - even if concreted.
Now - I'm not looking to se how high I can swing.. just want to rock a little in the evenings - so I'm not convinced that concreted-in posts will get loosened even in the mostly damp soil that I want to put them in...

What do yall think???
I've also considered going more for a 4-post version..
4-post swing.jpg
(can't pull off anything this fancy.. but you get the idea)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, good for you for rescuing that part of your family history. :hugs
I agree that it's very special. And shame on your dad for not offering it to you long ago. :smack

I can't give you any building advice, but the 4 post version seems the way to go.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Looks great the 4 x4 could support king kong I have 2 yard swings with metal supports the fun is
the tops seem to die bi yearly

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
How about turning it into a glider swing instead? That way you merely have to support it well from the base but don't have to worry about sinking posts or heavy top supports.

We have one of these...you can see it in my avatar. STURDY(easily supports up to 800lbs) Amish made, but now needing some refurbishing, which I hope to get to this fall or winter.

th

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
whichever version you like would be fine;
whaterver you choosel will require diffent materials in terms of size and leanght, at least the posts and top rail should be pressure treated ( to prevent dry rot ), with the 2 leged version you would need 6 x 6 posts , the 4 post version you would use 4 x4 posts , the posts would need to be set about 3 feet into the ground and cemented in due to back and forth forces of the swing plus person (s) swinging. When you decide what version you whant, we can get more specific as to material sizes and for safety.