Garlic!!??

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If I am in zone 5b when should I plant garlic?
Last fall, really :p

You can try putting some in as soon as the ground is workable and not too wet, but you may or may not get meaningful size cloves out of it. If you've got the extra space, can't hurt to try; otherwise there's always next fall.

Have fun,

Pat

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, on the garlic. Keys to grow garlic that I've learned.

Best to start in ground in fall so they come up in spring. That's too late so plant them now as mine is already sprouted and it's cold here. I'm in northern IN, sorry just saw you were in Indiana. I'm going to seperate mine and plant this weekend if not too nasty.

Keep them seperated by at least 5" from each other so they have room to grow.

When the seed spike comes up, top it off. If you allow it to go to seed you will get very weak, small cloves. When the tops start to die off, pull and dry in sun.

I plant it too thick and thin and use in cooking. About 1/2 of my crop makes it to maturity.

It's easy, it's fun. good luck.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What do you mean by seperate them? if you planted them in the fall and they are sprouting dont you just leave them where they are or do you dig them up and replant them???? I have never tried garlic...

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What i usually do for planting garlic in the spring, is to put the garlic bulbs in the fridge to allow the garlic to go through an articial dormant period then you could plant them outside about 6 weeks or so. But i like doing it the natural way in the fall better, but it will work.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
What do you mean by seperate them? if you planted them in the fall and they are sprouting dont you just leave them where they are or do you dig them up and replant them???? I have never tried garlic...
I always have some garlic that goes to seed, then in spring I have a bunch of small garlic. I simply go out and dig it up, seperate it, then plant it in the rows I want.

This year, I'm trying to find a tractor tire, fill it with compost and plant it to garlic so I don't have to move it.

bennett

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
i'm moving some plants from my husband's grandmother's homeplace before the property is sold in an auction - one of the plants his mom wants me to move is garlic.

how do i recognize it ? (from above ground) will i be able to transplant it this time of year and it survive?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grown garlic every year with great success and plant it in October

this year I did the usual and planted half a bed in the fall ..but a friend suggested I plant half a bed in the spring ..so I am

it is a side by side test!

so far the spring planted garlic is about 2/3 the size of the fall

now if I could just stop pulling the baby garlics and using the ..OMG they are so good I have no self control :p

I break up the heads and plant them a lot of times they have started sprouting

I only ever plant the bigger ones ..big cloves make big heads!

plus you can pick the flower stems and stir fry them (you guys probably know that) boy are those wonderful I also put them in kim chi soup

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I like the garlic flowers in fresh salad or just straight from the plant. They are too strong for some people but I like them.
me too :) raw they are wonderful as well like a crispy garlicy green bean! I always eat them right while I am picking them

Latest posts