Gas or Electric?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been whining to get rid of my electric range and replace with gas for several years. DH has been concerned that we would have the same sickening fumes from the range that we have from our ventless fireplace that we are unable to use.
I have been researching and asking questions of appliance people and not gotten a satisfactory answer.
My research has let me to info that says natural gas has a lot of noxious fumes besides methane, which perhaps has gotten worse since the gas companies have been fracking. These fumes can cause exacerbation of asthma and a host of other respiratory problems.
The fumes are worse with the appliances that don't have an upward outside vent. Basically, anything but a gas furnace and water heater.
DH and I don't have respiratory issues, but golly that ventless fireplace sure made us sick. I don't want to take a chance on this, especially after spending a thousand bucks on a gas cooktop.
I guess I may just have to put up with the electric range. Do you have gas or electric? Any problems? Would you switch to one or the other?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love gas ranges. Sadly at this place, we don't have propane or natural gas available.

In the many homes where I've had both propane and natural gas, there has never been leakage. Unless, you turn the burner on and the flame doesn't light. But that doesn't happen if you are careful.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have gas...we'd never have electric here, though I've had it in places I've rented previously. Can't STAND the uneven cooking of an electric range.

No fumes here from propane gas, not sure about natural gas, though can't remember fumes from that while growing up either.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
My research has let me to info that says natural gas has a lot of noxious fumes besides methane, which perhaps has gotten worse since the gas companies have been fracking. These fumes can cause exacerbation of asthma and a host of other respiratory problems.

What a load of nonsense. I guess "perhaps" means they do not have to be truthful. The natural gas distribution companies put an odor in it so you can tell when you have a leak. That's a safety feature. Fracking can cause problems, I think the earthquakes are obvious, but can we stick to the real problems. So Lucky, I'm talking about the site where you read that, not you.

When we had a natural gas stove top in the 80's there was a smell. It did not make anyone sick and my wife can be kind of delicate. The smell was annoying to me but there were no leaks. When we moved back down here we again got natural gas. No smell and no problems. I don't know if they changed chemicals to make that odor or if there was just something different with the stove top.

We were both glad to get natural gas again, I like it much better for cooking and the cost is good compared to electricity. I can understand your husband's concerns though with that experience. I can't guarantee that something like that won't happen again. I doubt the warranty would cover anything like this.

Instead of talking to the appliance people you can try talking to the natural gas company and see what they say. Their credibility might be a bit better than the appliance salespeople but I'd still be very skeptical of what they say. They want a customer too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you want the gas, but don't want to give up your new range top, get and outside fish fryer. Then if power goes off for an extended time, you can still cook.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am not fond of gas and preFER electric, BUT, I wouldn't have propane.
I had a bad experience with a old gas stove, where it didn't light and then the match produced a mini explosion, so I won't have one.
MANY cooks prefer gas for a more even cooking stovetop temperature.
Get what you want.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew up with gas appliances in my folks house.

When the electric stove that came with this house died I replaced it with a gas one.
We use propane for the kitchen stove and the clothes dryer. For a total of 36 years we have had no issues with gas, but if it worries you don't use it. Your peace of mind is worth a lot.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been whining to get rid of my electric range and replace with gas for several years. DH has been concerned that we would have the same sickening fumes from the range that we have from our ventless fireplace that we are unable to use.
I have been researching and asking questions of appliance people and not gotten a satisfactory answer.
The fumes are worse with the appliances that don't have an upward outside vent. Basically, anything but a gas furnace and water heater.
DH and I don't have respiratory issues, but golly that ventless fireplace sure made us sick. I don't want to take a chance on this, especially after spending a thousand bucks on a gas cooktop.
I guess I may just have to put up with the electric range. Do you have gas or electric? Any problems? Would you switch to one or the other?
You live with fumes from your fireplace? Get rid of it. We have a gas furnace with has a flu vented outside. I have never smelled fumes from my gas stove. Perhaps you have poorer quality gas which I have never heard of. I would get rid of the stove and stick with the electric stove given what you have said.I love cooking with gas have used in since I was a child. I have used electric and get used to it quickly.

Latest posts