getting a jump on spring

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
first day of spring is march 20th....:celebrate:celebrate
you know happens when you see this in early march.. it's gardening season again....
DSC_0020.JPG

checked my mad money last night, made a list of things needed to get the gardens going. dang tax refund wont be here for another week. so had to be selective on what to get prepped... will have lowes deliver the rest later this month...
once home unloaded the truck..
DSC_0010.JPG

got to breakout the big boy toys.....

firstly finalized where to plant the muscadine grapes dig the post holes, concreted them in and planted them.
beautiful soil the top 8" after that Carolina red clay..
DSC_0024.JPG

secondly burned the beds and surrounding area to get rid of any weeds and seeds.
DSC_0004.JPG

unloaded one of my best gardening friends..
DSC_0008.JPG

spread 5 bags of black kow per row, gypsum and 13-13-13 and tilled it in... will finalize the beds next week
hoping to get the peas in the ground next week as well..
DSC_0022.JPG

added gypsum and fertilizer to the asparagus bed should be only a matter of a couple weeks till they start popping their heads out...
DSC_0026.JPG

spread gypsum in the main garden, oh lord no way ready to be till it's way to wet in there. with all the rain we have received it's all most like a waterbed in there... the 10 day says little to none in the way of rain.
have another month and half before anything wound even go out there anyway...

will rebuild 4 of the original beds in a couple weeks and amend them......

so here's to another great start of a 365 day gardening season..
DSC_0009.JPG

life is good below the 35th parallel line....:frow

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
just a wee bit early, just trying to get things done ahead of time instead of running around with my head cut off....

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with thinking ahead and getting some of the necessary chores done before they're needed. Goodness knows, planting season is busy enough without needing to change oil on the tiller and fiddle with the garden tractor. I am impressed!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very impressed with your garden set up. Do you torch weeds all season or only beginning of season?

round up along the fence lines year round , the pea/melon beds had weeds growing in them over the winter so torched them, just in case there was seeds. it does help but i dont care how you grow ,you will always end up with weeds... just trying to eliminate untold bending over to pull them.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with thinking ahead and getting some of the necessary chores done before they're needed. Goodness knows, planting season is busy enough without needing to change oil on the tiller and fiddle with the garden tractor. I am impressed!

thats funny you brought up oil change.. big red "my truck" need it's oil changed next weekend it will be turning 350k it might have clear coat cancer, it still runs like a top.....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good! So envious. It will be weeks before we get in the garden beds. So messy from last years neglect, too. :(

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really blessed to live down south, I overwintered kale, chard, spinach, Brussels sprouts, onions, garlic and cabbage. And I just put in transplants of more cabbage, broccoli, bok choi, red romaine lettuce and seeded potatoes, carrots, peas and bunching onions. Overwintered cabbage is heading up now. Hopefully will see some asparagus in a few weeks and should start harvesting Brussels sprouts in a few weeks. Our low temps this winter were only in the high teens, so it was a mild winter. A bigger issue this fall/winter was the rain, we were absolutely hammered with a once in a thousand year event. But, next week or so we are looking at highs in the 70's, so everything should begin growing out. Had a salad today with kale, chard, lettuce, and onions from the garden. Life is good!