Giving back to the bees

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kailaan greens are normally harvested when the first flower buds open but as soon as mine began flowering the bees discovered them. There are fewer bees around than there used to be but the ones still around are working their fuzzy little butts off the keep the hive going. I decided that crop belonged to the bees. I can always find something else to eat.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that, hoodat.

The best ever plant I've found for drawing bees of every size is Saint John's Wort. I know I've mentioned it before, but I've counted over a dozen different kinds of bees and bee-like insects feeding among the sunny yellow flowers. And, although they are also liked by Japanese Beetles, I've never gotten stung knocking JBs out of the St. John's Wort and into a water bucket.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Monardia is also a great bee plant. It isn't called bee balm for nothing. It does have the unfortunate habit of runners but it isn't that hard to eliminate if you really want to.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The bees and butterflies seem to really love radish gone to bloom, and the extra good benefit is you can still eat the pods and they are better then the root.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love both of those flowers Hoodat and Red!
Monarda didyma is one of my most loved for it's long bloom time, bee magnetism and the hummers are nuts for it too.
And my favorite of all time beebalms is Jacob Cline. No mildew, and blooms a couple of weeks longer than any other with bodaciously big red blooms.

St. Johns Wort is a new favorite to me, I replaced a customers floppy peonies with 3 of the tall ones, and another customer had me dig all of her short ones out because they had taken over a bed. Score! I brought them all home and heeled them in last fall, hopefully they will come back this spring and I'll distribute them around the property.

Good for you Hoodat for favoring the bees with your blooms, I hope you get to see a comeback of lots of bees working your yard soon. :)

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
The bees and butterflies seem to really love radish gone to bloom, and the extra good benefit is you can still eat the pods and they are better then the root.

I had no idea you could eat radish pods. That must explain why the buggies ate them all and I never got any good seed!

Yes, the bees need all the help they can get, especially things that provide late season forage and will help them get through the winter.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that too Hoodat! It's a wonderful thing to leave the Kailaan to flower so the bees can work it over. More people should think like you.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH just got into bee keeping last summer We have been trying to over winter 3 hives. One appears it will not make it. Always looking for more flowers and such to feed the bees. Thanks for the great ideas Hoodat, Smart Red, Kassaundra and Thistlebloom.

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had to look it up too (link) - a Chinese kale grown for leaves and thickened stalks. Sounds like an interesting brassica to try.

Hoodat - I have a lot of problems with oriental greens bolting when we get a hot spell early in the season. Is that a problem with Kailaan?

Latest posts