Glad She Didn't Try And Pet Them

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Makes me think about an article I read awhile back where a woman picked up this mangy, sickly and starving looking dog and brought it in a crate in her house to rehab it. When she went to take to shelter/vet or something like that, they realized it was a coyote.
:idunno

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Ducks and rabbit in back yard behind 6 foot wood fence.
I watched a fox scale a 6 foot stone wall a few weeks ago. A coyote shouldn't have a problem with that fence if they really want in.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
True a hungry coyote can find away over, but then I have motion lights plus house dogs. While my small dogs would be dinner if faced with coyote, they would bark like crazy inside house if one in yard. About a month ago a rabid coyote bit like 6 people before it was killed.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back in the 80's (during my time in the Navy) I lived in San Diego, with only a 5' fence separating our back yard from a steep drop into a wild canyon. One morning, I looked out the back window to see a mangy coyote just outside the fence - and my 2-year-old daughter (who was playing outside) walking toward it, thinking it to be a dog... :epHad I not looked out just then, things could have gone bad very quickly. When I flew out the back door yelling at the top of my lungs, the coyote fled into the canyon.

Coyotes were a common threat in San Diego, often hunting in packs - and not afraid to enter the city. A couple months after the above incident, I had just come out of the base supermarket with the same daughter (who was very tiny), and very suddenly found myself surrounded by circling coyotes, on the way back to my car. I put my daughter on my shoulder, and prepared to fight... but another customer in the parking lot witnessed what was happening, and ran off the coyotes with her car. I learned to be much more observant after that, whenever outdoors with my children.

It was very common in San Diego for a coyote to jump over a fence, kill & eat the dog that was there, then jump back over to escape.

Coyotes were not the only danger that came out of the canyons, we had tarantulas crawl into the back yard, and a large rattlesnake found its way into the playground in our complex. That situation too could have gone terribly wrong, had I not had that day off & been working outside when I heard the first scream.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, Zeedman, I know what you're talking about. We lived east of San Diego in the back country not far from the Cuyamacas. The coyotes out in the boonies were never as brazen as the town 'yotes.

Not as habituated to people maybe, and more likely to get shot. But the rattlesnakes kept me on edge.
Trail riding one day my horse stepped right over one sunning itself across the trail. I looked down when it was too late to stop and just cringed until we were safe. I don't know why it didn't coil and strike. Maybe it's belly was too full or something.

The kids were playing on the trampoline one evening when they came charging in excitedly telling their dad about the rattler they almost landed on when they jumped off the trampoline.
Dh turned it into molecules.

I have lots of snake stories lol.

Latest posts