Going South

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while. One of the biggest reason is because I haven't been gardening. My husband retire from the military and got a new job in Georgia. We lived in Georgia in the 90's so I no the area but I am not that familiar with gardening in Zone 8b which is where I will be living. The only thing I got planted this year was garlic, last fall and I put in some onions before the moving thing came up.

I will be in GA the end of July and am planning to put in a fall garden. Any hints or suggestions. Can I put in tomatoes and peppers? I know it's late but I could cover them when it starts cooling down. I know that I will be able to do cucumbers and green beans no problem put would still like some mators.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there! I am sorry to say that I don't have any advice for gardening in the South ( for obvious reasons!) but I am glad to hear that you are well and ready to garden! Looking forward to hearing more about your new adventure...

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
depending what part of georgia your going to be in the state is in 3 hardness zones 7-9.

going to shoot for 8-9
middle of summer is heck down that way.
would look into planting seasonal quick crops.

butter lettuce.... late sept
bok choi... late sept
radishes.. late sept
bush type beans july -sept

maybe even plant a short season corn...july
a call to the county cooperative extension where you are going to live would be your best bet on what's best to plant.

and yes in the fall
garlic
cabbage
onions
broccoli

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks, that is helpful. It is zone 8b near Sylvania. I will do my broccoli and cabbages in the fall. I hope I can get some squash and zucchini also. Next year I may try some to the long beans. I am going to dig up some of my herbs also so I don't have to start all over again. I have a lot of spots for an herb garden. Very excited about the possibilities. I also have 6 Pecan Trees on our 1 1/2 acre. Lost some size in year but with the extended growing season I should be able to do two gardens and life will be good.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aaand . . . your 1,000th post of TEG :frow !

About one-half way between August and Savannah and not too far from Charleston! The little city is almost round! There must be a center post!

I took a Streetview drive in, 'Dorie! Came in on East Ogeechee Street -- You just try to say that without smiling :D! Soon, it turned dark and stormy!! I was wondering if this would be a good community for you; there may not be a lot of sunlight! Then, up Mimms Road, the sun came out and it was all blue sky!

Steve :cool:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
If I was making the move to a new location( I moved from Cal. to Wa. . What a difference !!!), I would spend my time in getting to know the local growing conditions, then kill, maime, and destroy weeds on the property, get a spoil test, then amend/ work in the garden area with 6" of horse manure / compost / balance minerals. Lots of work the first year getting your property ready, but a lot less work in years to come with greater rewards. :tools

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Aaand . . . your 1,000th post of TEG :frow !

About one-half way between August and Savannah and not too far from Charleston! The little city is almost round! There must be a center post!

I took a Streetview drive in, 'Dorie! Came in on East Ogeechee Street -- You just try to say that without smiling :D! Soon, it turned dark and stormy!! I was wondering if this would be a good community for you; there may not be a lot of sunlight! Then, up Mimms Road, the sun came out and it was all blue sky!

Steve :cool:
Yah it is really pretty but we live a few miles out of town on Rocky Ford Rd. We have several pecan trees in the yard and lots of room for some raised beds.

I found some info on planting a fall garden in Georgia today. It states that I can grow tomatoes and corn in a fall garden as long as I get it planted by the first week of July. I will be down for a visit that week and I sent Hubby a garden plan today. I am going to get a good start on it but I am a little nervous because I won't be back down for three weeks. I think it will work out.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That's exciting about your move!! It cant hurt to try and get things started, will hubby be around for those 3 weeks? Even if he's not a tried and true gardener you might be able to talk him through some things on the phone. Good luck!

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
That's exciting about your move!! It cant hurt to try and get things started, will hubby be around for those 3 weeks? Even if he's not a tried and true gardener you might be able to talk him through some things on the phone. Good luck!
Yes he will be around, he is working down there and so is one of my son's. John said he would water it for me. He is actually talking about putting in a sprinkler system for the beds since we have to put them in from scratch. My husband likes to eat so he does help with the garden. Normally he doesn't help with the planting and water, it's the initial bed prep and weeding and of course the picking and eating he is good at.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dorie, could you purchase one of the tomato plants that are still available, and keep it as a container plant till you move? This is very exciting, just thinking about the possibilities in a totally different area of the country.

Latest posts