good tasting accident

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I canned a salsa mixture and upon suggestion from somebody(can't remember who) I added a can of tomato sauce to it. The salsa turned out way too watery. So, I opened up all of the jars, strained the salsa and added the solids into a new batch WITHOUT adding anything else (just tomatos, onions, salt, garlic and jalapeno pepper). After processing this new batch in the pressure canner, they turned out really well. The good tasting accident part is the juice strained off of the first batch of salsa. It is the best tasting tomato juice I've ever had. It's like a mildly spicey V8 juice. YUMM-YUMM.

FarmerDenise

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That sounds like great idea. I'll strain my next batch of salsa and can the juice seperately. I always drink the liquid left in the bottom of the bowl, why not can it separately.

Mom2Cool

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well I've had the same thought to "do something with the juice" when I made salsa for canning last summer. I alsoways think it all looks too good to just pour out but it looks a little thin...... Did the tomato sause thinken it to give is a good consistancy? I think I'll try this too if it worked that well for you... It sounds yummy.

Latest posts