Good year for roses.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over the years I have noticed that some years the roses are just so-so, but other years they are spectacular. I am not sure as to what turns them on, but this is a spectacular year for sure. Our weather turned very warm, 90s F and they are popping open like popcorn in the popper.

roses.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Very pretty, Jack.

It was an unusually difficult winter for the roses, here. Our new @LocoYokel mentioned it, also. Lots of snow didn't seem to help.

My climbing rose is doing fine and should bloom profusely if the mildew doesn't overtake it. One 20+ year old hybrid tea nearly died over the winter despite me burying it well under the snow.

Meanwhile, the neighbor to the east had her big rose die that has been happily living there for 7 years. The neighbor to the south had an equally large bush die. And, the neighbor to the north just took his big Chicago Peace rose out yesterday! It was so badly damaged that it must have died back by half and he evidently was not going to have the patience to wait for it to come back.

Steve

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve,
We had a wicked winter also, so it is surprising to see them doing so well. The year before we had a mild winter and they were just so-so. Go figure.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our roses are going gangbusters too....lovely bloom and lots of new growth, even those puny ones I thought had died over the winter put out some blooms and are showing new growth. Our oldest rose is bigger than it's ever been and putting out more growth than ever, so this is definitely a year for roses. Hope that continues!

101_0509.JPG

101_0510.JPG

101_0691.JPG

Reactions: pjn

Latest posts