Got a horse story to tell ~ or a horses story```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
We took a couple ~ young half brothers ~ trained to saddle ~ still green ~ jumpy a little ``` Just Yerani and me ~ on Froto and Pipin ``` We rode north toward the hills ~ near some houses ~ past fences with barking dogs ~ cars ~ things the horses need to get use to``` Then past the houses ~ a stallion ~ standing off about 100 yards from the Buckskin Band out in the open~ I thought he was part of the band``` we're on a old wagon trail ~ used now by off road toys ``` So the stallion comes out to us ~ motorcycle comes by on the trail ```

Pipin is rearing a bit ~ Froto is going nuts ~ daughter came off ~ hits the ground ~ swings back into the saddle ~ Froto is up in the air ~ goes down ~ she's off ~ the stallion takes off east toward the open behind the houses ~ Froto behind him ~ I dismount ~ daughter takes my mount back to the house to get her 4 X4
~ I follow the Band on foot ~ they're not moving too fast ``` Couple women talking ~ pointing ~ they saw the horse & saddle ~ Lady says get in ~ she's telling me they went east ~ and split up by the houses ```

We don't see them ~ I say thanks ~ take me back ~ daughter went for her car ``` About 4- 5 cars with ladies ~ one saying: we drove up and down the streets by the open fields near the buildings ~ didn't see them``` I walk out to the band ~ about 1/4 mile in the cheat grass ~ they're looking at me like ~ What do you want ~ nether the stallion or Froto is with them```
Daughter shows up ~ we drive for 45 min or more ~ the band is there but that stallion and Froto ~ nowhere``` Daughter's worried ~ she's praying ~ I ask her: Want to cross the Hyway ~ she say: I'm going home ~ maybe he's gone home ~ as we get close ~ she says ~ There he is ~ he came home ```

I thought there was no way ~ but ~ he beat us to the house ```

Well ~ I guess ~ you had a been there ``` Sorry ~ no pictures ~ wish you were here ```

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks ~ me too ~ I though that horse could be ~ gone ~ just like you said: "heart in your throat scary"

She didn't get those horses that long ago ~ I didn't think ~ he would know where home is ~ or if he considered it home ``` Thank God ```

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend was just telling us yesterday that his three cows got out this past fall. A neighbor called at 11 p.m. to say, Mark your cows are in our front yard. He and wife and dd race out... cows are no longer in front yard. They then run around wondering where they went, in the dark. They hear them across the busy two lane River Road, over in the mobile home park. DD is standing guard in the road with a flashlight cus they sure don't want a driver to hit a cow (worried about the car/driver). The wife and he are all over the mobile home park, cus one cow got lost. Two hours later they get the cows back home. Double sheesh.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Here was my old herd leader, "Little Tyke", who was ANYTHING but shy and retiring.

TYke, the Wonder Horse.jpg

Tyke was afraid of N O T H I N G!!! He was a 15yo when I bought him, was the herd leader where he had lived, he had been a pony at the race track and all of his previous owners found that I bought him and wanted to come and see and ride him again, exCEPT for the girl who lost interest in him, although her mother brought her grandkids out to ride him periodically.
He instilled confidence in the herd. It took him one day at a small CW Event to acclimate to guns. Next day, NO problem.
If you are riding green horses off your property and you don't have a "Tyke", IMHO you may want to put in some hours on them. Glad your DD's weren't hurt.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi ~ I told daughter ~ I was happy and surprised to see Froto at the house ~ she said: Why ~ horses have great sense of direction ~ still I was surprised ``` She said: Glad he wasn't with the band ~ don't know how we'd have gotten him out ~ why I asked ~ couldn't you have walked up to him ~ n led him out~ she said:" we walk up ~ they move away" ~ we walk up ~they keep moving ``` Maybe she's right ``` I'm glad he came home ```

Surprising how many people came out to the edge of open range ~ and tried to spot them ~ there's so much open land ~ not telling how far ```Well, thank God ```

Nice looking ride Ducks```