Got my "pet/reptile" heat mats, I have a ?

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I ordered 5 pet heat mats off ebay, they were 15.00 each. I plugged one in last night and it really doesn't feel very warm. I put a thermometer in the pan where I put the seeds on the heat mat. The temp read 70. Is this warm enough. I thought the heat mat would put off more heat than it does.

I know my body temp is 98.6 so maybe this is why the mat doesn't feel warm. I get a small bit of warmth and that's it.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes i think 70 will be warm enough. Do you have overhead lights too? Between the christmas tree lights i use as my bottom heat source, and the overhead lights, i use a reptile thermometer and aim for between 70-80 air temp inside my germinating container (little jiffy greenhouse or the like). That for my "warm" lovin seeds, peppers, toms, etc. Not onions, cabbage, or other "cold" lovin seeds, no heat for them. I like the reptile thermometer, its a sensor on a cord maybe 3' long, with an attached digital readout, so i can have the sensor inside my closed up "greenhouse" and be able to read it without taking the lid off.

r4eboxer

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yes I have overhead lights too. I looked at the temp this morning and I was at 78. I was afraid these mats were too good to be true at 15.00 ea. considering a plant mat the same size is 75-80.00 for one. WOOT I"m a happy camper this morning. Most of my seeds have germinated. I put broccoli and cabbage in a week ago without any heat and a nice variety of herbs. All the herbs have germinated except fennel and the parsley is slow but I do have a few seeds that have popped up.

I'm putting my tomatoes and pepper seeds in the cells as soon as I finish this post. :watering :tools

Latest posts