Got to meet NinnyMary today!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's probably not often 2 TEG members actually meet in person. I know Nacho and Vfem met.

Today she drove northward up hiway 101 and I drove southward down hiway 101, and we met at the Luther Burbank Gardens for their Mother's day plant sale. Met her nice husband too.

I felt kinda shy, trying to keep my minor agorophobia down to a not worry so much level.

We were both hoping to get some Burbank White Blackberry plants, but they had none for sale. Mary got some Pepper plants, I bought a succulent, and she discovered a small poster card with the white blackberry artistically done on it, and I bought it.

The gardens are basically the way they were last time I was there, course some new plantings in beds that are changed often. The tree in front of Burbank's main house, used to be a very large cedar of lebanon, that burbank was buried under is now gone. His grave was unmarked as I think he wanted it.

As I was getting ready to leave, Mary found where there were some white blackberry plants were growing! I think she went to talk to the nice ladies running the sale there about maybe transplanting out and buying one straight from the ground. Some nice ones were coming up from the ground. There were also "original" Burbank thornless blackberries, growing just like my burbank thornless blackberry plants, but with darker canes. I'm sure that those that have escaped have probably changed a bit in a few generations of seeding out. Mine has a greener cane.

Mary is a real nice gal! And even prettier in person than the photos of her.

It was a nice spring day for the ride. Warmer down in the valleys than up here in the hills.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to look up "agorophobia," Marshall.

I thought it might be fear of agronomists. PhDs in agronomy are just as scary as PhDs in astronomy! "Billions and billions . . ."

Glad you had fun!

Steve
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~ Carl Sagan

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Seedcorn said... no pix?
Did either of you take a camera? Will there photos later?
There are so many TEG friends I would love to meet in person. A few actually live close enough to make it possible. I think Smart Red is the closest. And Vfem (Shannon) has family that lives close by in IL.

Last edited:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I failed to bring my camera. Am I in trouble?

:hide

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't even think to take pictures with my phone! On the way home, it occurred to me that I should have taken one of the white blackberry that had lots of blooms.

Marshall was also very nice and quieter than I thought he should be should be. I think he was a little shy. I hope I didn't intimidate him. Ha

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What a wonderful day yall had!
clap.gif

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
. . , and she discovered a small poster card with the white blackberry artistically done on it, and I bought it. . .

This white blackberry, besides being an oxymoron, seems kinda mythological to me.

Not having a picture of the outing, how about a picture of the post card?

Steve