Got Your Compost Stoked?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are still a couple weeks away from the usual hottest days of the year. It was 94°f this afternoon and that is plenty hot for a roaring compost pile!

If you have trouble with composting, can't seem to get the material to break down into good quality compost -- give your pile everything it needs now!

Get fresh material, correct moisture and give it a good stir.

Steve
here's that thread on your hottest day: (LINK)!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
YUP! Bring on the heat.
Got my 'compost tea' brewing - drop the hose on the pile for a while every time I finish watering the garden - planning to tear it down and re-pile one evening real soon.
G WILDER It\'s ALIVE.jpg

Mt Rotmore LIVES!!!!! Bwhahahahahahaha

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, Steve now is the time. My downfall this time of year is moisture. I let it dry out too much so it quits working. I've done pretty good so far but now that I don't have any chickens in the grow-out coop next to the compost, I don't have any reason to daily carry water over there. It makes a big difference.

My main pile is probably ready for screening and bagging so I can start my next batch while the weather is warm, but I have other priorities. I canned beets yesterday and plan to freeze a bunch of carrots today. I also need to freeze some dill heads today. Tomatoes are coming in and my first corn should be ready for canning early next week. I'll probably get my first fresh corn tomorrow. I have to keep the water going daily since we haven't had any rain for a long time, I'd like to get another round of chard and kale in the freezer, I have herbs I need to dehydrate (cilantro is in the dehydrator now), I just harvested garlic and onions, I need to make another round of chicken broth to clear up freezer space, I need to put a couple of cockerels in the freezer, I need to can more soup, cucumbers are about ready for the first canning, I'm way behind on mowing and weed-eating, and I'm planning a trip for me and a couple of the kids to go see my mother at the end of this month.

Screening and bagging that compost so I can start my next batch is way down on my list of priorities.

Time to get going. I'll check back later.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee @Ridgerunner just reading your to-do list makes me tired! :lol: (as I sit here waiting on the pressure canner to cool down on batch two of chicken broth so batch three can go in) :lol: Ahhh......thank you to whoever invented recliners!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule you ought to be on this end of it. it's a good thing I'm retired and enjoying the leisure life.

It's a bit of a strange year, the normal timing isn't the same as most years. Just more things happening at once. Some things coming in early and some being a bit late. It keeps things from getting boring. Sounds like the wife has finished her lunch. I'll go do the dishes and get back to work.

And put ice cream on your shopping list. There are days that you need some, like last night for you.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have two wire bins I pack stuff in. When I want it, I roll 'em over and start shoveling. The chickens do a marvelous job of composting leaves, garden trimmings and everything under the sun that I throw in there. I just rotate digging out the coop or the run.

Wah! :hitWhere we are moving to is sand soil. Sand like beach sand. I have LOTS of work to do.......ordering more chicks in spring......nothing like chick labor......

Latest posts