Granny Smith apple sauce anybody? Suggestions?

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Always thought this would be really good. Thinking of making a batch of just Granny Smith apple sauce so it's a little tart & a little sweet. Anybody have any tips n making it? I already make a pretty darn good apple sauce but wasn't sure how well the recipe would carry over with a more tart apple.

Anybody have any suggestions, thoughts, comments? Would be greatly appreciated thank you.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Suggestion. After you make some, send me a quart and I'll quality test it for you.

I wouldn't do that for just everyone.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are probably just going to have to taste test it while making it. Basically use the same recipe. Get final approval from seedcorn. Jar it up, and there you have it. :p

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh I taste test it as I cook it. My girls & all the nieces & nephews all go bonkers when I bring it out or they see at a get together. I'll send you some Seedcorn just have to get some Granny Smiths first.

Already made enough to feed the whole Midwest with all the free apples I got his year. Just can't say no to anything free that I could can for later. I've literally got probably 50+ quart jars of apple sauce made already & 3 dozen half pints of apple butter & a few pints of it since I ran out of half pint jars. But then I can bring 2 quarts to a get together & Ill take 2 empty jars home.

Idea crossed my mind the other night & figured why not? Whats another trip through the canner?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have to ask. Do you have peeler/corer?

If so, what is a good one? I hate hand peeling enough to do quarts.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love Granny Smith. So this sounds good to me. If you find it too tart you can always add more sweetener.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Have to ask. Do you have peeler/corer?

If so, what is a good one? I hate hand peeling enough to do quarts.
I have a peeler/slicer/corer and I love it. I got it from Pampered Chef eons ago. The only drawback is if the apples are too irregular it
doesn't quite do the job. But it sure makes quick work of peeling normal apples.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have 1 too and for the life of me I can't remember who makes it. It's ok but I think it takes off too much of the flesh & I don't find it to be much faster either. Plus I'm giving up good apple flesh!

I don't hand peeling Ill sit in front of the TV after the kids have gone to bed or when the older 1 is in school & the baby's asleep. Then we have a slicer corer that is stainless steel & it does a great job on them.

Latest posts