Graywater Kitchen Sink

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've been meaning to put in a graywater system for a while now (10 years now?) but the recent increase of drought conditions in California and the talk of rate hikes has encouraged me to seriously consider doing it this summer.

Anyone have any tips about a kitchen sink graywater system ideally with a sewer bypass? I'm no plumber, but understand the basics. I basically want a system that I can divert water that I don't want in the garden/yard/creek (water with chlorine, any chemicals, etc) to go into the sewer system. Ideally I'd be able to divert under the sink with a couple of valves.

So I'm understanding the concept, just not sure on the configuration. Anybody have any recs?

Thanks
Carlos

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a few different concepts of how you could do that, but you might check with your local authorities about regulations of how you could do that legally. if I were free to do it I think a diverter valve would be the simplest. Most of the plumbing regulations are more about making sure you can't get backflow into the water system but with California especially I'd check for regulations before I did anything.

Whether you follow the regulations or not is your decision. Although I'm in the county where there are very few codes, I still try to follow standard codes when I'm wiring or plumbing outbuildings. There is a solid reason for most of them.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way back when dinosaurs roamed south-est, central-est Wisconsin, we had a "suds-saver" tub and function on the washing machine. Uncle John diverted all used (grey) water (sinks, shower, and washer) into this tub and pumped it out to a cistern outside for later use. As far as I remember, only the toilet waste went to the septic system. Any cleaning chemicals could be flushed rather than poured down a drain.

Probably not quite legal today? Then, too, he would drain the water tank in the winter and use the pump and wood stove to get heated water. The outhouse was used until spring. Saturday, he turned on the water so clothes were washed and every one had a bath. Then the water was drained until next week.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, that makes sense. And we'll definitely be following the local ordinances. I work with local government so I couldn't get away with it even if I tried!

Now thinking about the diverter valve (which I didn't even know about)- I'm figuring it goes drain, elbow trap, diverter valve, right?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, Smart Red, storing of graywater is actually against local and county ordinance here. I barely get by with the storage of rainwater!

But that would be a great system to have in place. Especially the wood stove!

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Yes, an inline trap. We have every sink and tub at the lower ranch going outside feeding the plant on different sides of the house, and here in the mountain one side of the kitchen sink.
I intend to install a sump and pump to take the water to the trees by one drive.

We've plumbed it all with ABS, very easy, On a long run, it's good to put in a vacuum brake or a fitting to covered with window screen so your trap isn't drained when you pull the plug on the bath tub. If I haven't described this well, I'll try to say it more clearly.

Richard

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got it! That seems to help a bit more. I'll see what I can come up with in terms of mapping this out.

Richard- yeah, at some point I want to put the whole house on a gray water system but I should probably fix my 80 year old electrical system first.

Thanks
Carlos