Green beans/preserving

Vagirl

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone has had luck in freezing green beans from the garden? I haven't really canned before, have had luck with tomatoes and blanching them, peeling, slicing and freezing them for stews, salsa, etc. Can something similar be done with green beans? thanks, Kim

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I personally think they are much better frozen than canned. You blanch them and freeze them just like your toms. I would check on the internet for the exact time to blanch. I do it by color, not time. I think canned green beens are so bland.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just did this for the first time yesterday. It was pretty easy.

Boil a LARGE pan of water.
Cut the ends off of the beans.
Cut into your preferred size.
Using a colander or basket, lower the beans into the water.
Set timer for 3 minutes from the moment the beans are in the water.
Remove the basket.
Immediately dump the beans into a bowl filled with ice water.
Set timer for 3 minutes. Remove.

You can either:
- put them into ziplock bags, zip closed, leaving enough room for a straw and suck out the air.
- Use one of those sealing systems.
- or you can put them on a cookie sheet in a single layer and place them in the freezer. This will make it easier to remove only what you need for your meal. Then place them in one of the above.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've got 2 things to add.

1 ~ Make sure your colander can go into boiling water. I know, it sounds obvious, but....

2 ~ And secondly, you can try growing purple/red beans sometime. Read up on the variety, but the ones I've had have a built in par-cook timer. When they turn green...they're ready! :)