Green Beans

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there a trick to freezing green beans? I blanched them and put them in freezer bags one time and they didn't taste very good.

Can I just rinse them and put them in freezer bags without doing anything to them?

We are getting tired of eating them and would like to save some for winter. I don't want to can them. I want them to taste as fresh as possible.

Mary

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I willbe watching for answers, too. Our beans are a bit rubbery from the freezer. And mushy when canned.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The trick to freezing green beans is to choose the right variety to plant. Many catalogs list the varieties best suited to freezing, canning and fresh eating. Burpee is a good one for that as well as many others.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
cat, they are kentucky wonder pole beans and the package says they are "excellent for freezing".

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have always frozen my beans I love them my husband does not. I have found that young beans keep their crispness, where more fully grown beans get limp. I blanch them for 4 minutes, chill them in ice water spin dry them and freeze them immediately in zip lock bags that I squeeze most of the air out of.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
cat, is the blanching really necessary? What does it do to them? What happens if I don't blanch?

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Absolutely necessary. Beans will be burned if frozen with out blanching. Stick a few in the freezer over night and take a look.
ninnymary said:
cat, is the blanching really necessary? What does it do to them? What happens if I don't blanch?

Mary

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I grew tendergreen this year and I think they would be perfect for freezing (bush bean) and canning actually.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do all that as above and also freeze mine in Foodsaver vacuum-seal bags. I've had no trouble with freshness or freezer burn.

ETA: Although really now that I am proficient with my pressure canner, I do prefer my beans canned.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, I didn't like my canned beans - they seemed really overcooked. Did yours retain any crispiness? I grew the tendergreens this year. I tried freezing a few. I blanched for 3 minutes and got them really cold- then dried and froze them. They look nice and green. We will see... My second planting is almost ready, I will have to decide if I freeze or can.

Latest posts