Green Peas, English Peas or Whatever Ya'll Call 'Em

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted Maestro English peas indoors on 1-23-2013. I transplanted them outside on 2-6-2013. They grew well and I got 4 pickings before the vines started yellowing at the bottom. I could have gotten another picking, but I wanted to save seed. The last pods are drying on the vines right now. I'll pick them when they are a little yellower. They are a little hard to grow here because of our monstrous heat, so I am proud of myself for getting a good? harvest. At least we had something fresh while not much was producing in the garden. They sure were good. :drool

So for ya'll in cooler climates, how many pickings do ya'll get before the vines die? I have tried them in the fall, but it was still too hot for them and they just didn't do anything. Any pointers for me for next year? Besides planting MORE seed? :lol:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
About that, Bay'.

I don't even know if I get thru them for that fourth time.

Some folks are happy to allow them to continue on and maybe they will flower again. The end of the pea harvest comes right after the 4th of July and it turns dry and hot. Poor things are often covered by mildew during those final days. I find it best to just pull 'em down. Besides, there are greenbean seed to plant where the peas were!

Steve

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I put in both snap and shelling peas this year. The shelling peas (Tall Telephone) never sprouted, so I planted more snap peas over them. This was on Jan 1 and probly Feb 15.

I've been eating snap peas for weeks now, and they're still going. A bit yellow at the bottom, but kicking out fresh green and new peas throughout. I'm gonna let 'em run until they quit producing, produce bad peas, get too funky, or are being crowded out by the tomatoes.

My Godson (3.6 yrs) informed his mother that "Aunt Jozzie makes the best peas." :) High praise, considering they're one of the only things he eats.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I quit planting English peas. Snap peas for me. Sweeter, better yielding, and faster from garden into my stomache. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, dumb question from a southerner, what is a snap pea and how is it different from an English pea?

Ya'll have to remember, to me peas means black eyed, purple hull, crowder........

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love me some blackeyed peas.

Snap peas, you eat peas and pod. They form larger peas than snow peas. Not 100% positive but cross between snow and English peas?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Seedcorn! I might have to try some snap peas next year. Any particular variety you could recommend?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
baymule said:
Thanks Seedcorn! I might have to try some snap peas next year. Any particular variety you could recommend?
You are onto next year and I haven't even had this year yet........Dang you! :p

I buy sugar snap pea.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
baymule said:
You are onto next year and I haven't even had this year yet........Dang you! :p
MUHAHAHA!!! I just threw a SNOWBALL at you!!! SPLAT!! Gotcha!! MUHAHAHA!!!

Latest posts