Green Sauce Tomato?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
On a more general tomato point (since I have no tomatoes to show, there being none produced for me this year). What does anyone think about the likelihood of creating a green when ripe sauce tomato?

Note I say "sauce tomato" NOT paste tomato. Making a green paste is not only possible, it has already be done at least one (Tom Wagner's Green Sausage). But that is only culinarily usable if you are making a raw tomato product, like salsa or bruschetta. For cooking it suffers from the same problem that, as far as I can tell ALL green when ripe tomatoes suffer from; when heated, the green turns an ugly shade of brownish khaki.

As far as I can tell the problem is that all current green tomatoes appear actually be green/yellow tomatoes. That is they have yellow pigments as well as green ones (in much the way that many "blacks" are pink or red pigments mixed with green, or "browns" are orange mixed with green)

Genetically, a "true" green tomato SHOULD be possible, one where there is ONLY chlorophyll present (if there are true "white" tomatoes which contain no yellow, there should be green with no yellow as well) But I have yet to see one.

I is also possible that such a tomato would have some problems. It would be REALLY hard to tell if it was ripe without touching it (since there would be no yellow cast). And it STLL wouldn't look great cooked (presumably it would be the same sort of green as cooked spinach or another green.) But it would be an improvement.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Note I say "sauce tomato" NOT paste tomato. Making a green paste is not only possible, it has already be done at least one (Tom Wagner's Green Sausage). But that is only culinarily usable if you are making a raw tomato product, like salsa or bruschetta. For cooking it suffers from the same problem that, as far as I can tell ALL green when ripe tomatoes suffer from; when heated, the green turns an ugly shade of brownish khaki.
Been there done that, still have 2 jars of Green Sausage salsa left; and now that you mention it, I was a little disappointed in the color. But then, using mostly red-ripe peppers in the mix probably didn't help. This was a batch I made for DD#1, who likes it regardless.

A silly question perhaps, but why a green-when-ripe tomato? Could you use a green immature tomato instead, and season it to balance the flavor? The canned green tomato relish I made this year turned out green... well, yellowish-green, due to the mustard.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose so. but the flavor as you said, would be different. I LIKE the flavor of green when ripe tomatoes, and think their citrusy zest would work well in a good Pomodoro sauce.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suppose so. but the flavor as you said, would be different. I LIKE the flavor of green when ripe tomatoes, and think their citrusy zest would work well in a good Pomodoro sauce.
So, perhaps lime juice & a little sugar to compensate for the unripeness, or orange juice + zest? And maybe a pinch of celery salt? Not being critical, just brainstorming... I love to play with recipes.

Latest posts