Greenhouse Built from old 'Garage Tent'

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wanted to show you the greenhouse my husband built for me out of the framework from an old garage tent that we used for a wedding. The framework was good, made from steel tubing which was a surprise since the tent had not been expensive when we bought it. We bolted the framework to small (6") cement pads and then anchored it by building a horseshoe shape of concrete blocks around the frame. We then filled the beds with gravel then soil. We used 'hattrack' to support the framing and to make a surface to attach the corrugated acrylic panels to. We use it as a three season greenhouse as it can maintain above freezing temperatures for a short period of time, but not all winter.

It was relatively inexpensive because we reused materials that we had leftover from a remodeling project. I am starting my third season with it and am still learning how to best use it.

9048_greenhouse_8_small.jpg

9048_greenhouse_2012_3.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh, oh! No image, Kathie.

You need to upload it to the TEG gallery first! See - "Uploads" up there in the top green bar on this page? Go there, please! It isn't difficult once you get to that TEG page.

Hatrack? Is that the "wavy board" that goes under corrugated roofing and such?

Steve

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks DigitS. I had some trouble figuring out how to post my pictures :(

Hat track is used in framing. It comes in many lengths and is about 4" wide in a square 'U' shape. It is easy to use and supports framing. The horizontal lines in the greenhouse are hat track.

Kathie

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is, REALLY, super nice. After seeing the words "cattle panel" on a post I read yesterday.....I've been constipating on an idea of a greenhouse using cattle panels and pallets for the floor. Pondering the possibilities.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Look at that! Complete with a cute model.

Big nice window, Kathie. Is it a solid roof and wall on the north side?? Pine trees for neighbors :).

Your husband did a nice job!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first thing I saw was that cutie pie! Hard to get past that to the greenhouse. :lol: What an amazing job. It looks beautiful and is so big!

Mary

kathiesgarden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind comments about the greenhouse. I'll get some pictures posted of what I've got inside. The one wall and part of the roof is solid DigitS. The wall is okay, but we are going to replace part of the solid roof with the clear acrylic this year. The trees in the back are maples although there are tons of ponderosa pines in this area.

That little cutie is my granddaughter. I take care of her during the day while her mother works. She loves the garden.

Thanks again, everyone for your nice comments :)
Kathie

Latest posts