Greetings from Southern California (SOCAL)

Denny2017

Sprout
Reaction score
I have done most of my gardening in Northern California (Novato, Redwood City) and now I am in SOCAL.
I have not started my garden, yes it is getting that time of the year, but I won't be in a place for a couple of months. I am seriously looking forward to feeling the dirt between my fingers as I plant my favorite sweet corn, tomatoes, cucumbers, and all the other favorites.
Those who have been gardening in SOCAL: how's the general condition of soil in Winchester Ca.? Any Winchester folks chime in. I may end up in Murrieta so I would ask the same questions. Where is a reliable soil testing facility within driving distance? Thanks for the opportunity to converse with fellow dirt farmers.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hello and welcome (from a somewhat snowy mid-Michigan winter), i'm sorry i have no experience growing in southern CA so i can't much help there.

i fear that the heat, water and irrigation issues/expenses would dominate there especially during the summer. wind-breaks and some shade cloth may be required, but i don't really know for sure.

i do know that growing things is possible as there is a site in a much worse habitat than what you are in which still manages to grow things. you may need some soil acidifiers and plenty of mulch to keep precious moisture available to plants. i have no experience with drip irrigation either, but it does work.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi from So. Oregon. My friend lives in Vista, CA and its been so dry there, its going to be another struggle to grow anything, without exorbitant costs for water.

Where I used to live in the Sierra Foothills, our water bill with a tiny allotment was $112.67 a month. Of course in the summer it went over $300 a month for my drip systems and a tiny patch of grass.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Another welcome, from north of the border this time, I live and garden on Vancouver Island. I also grow a few tomatoes (mostly heirlooms) and cucumbers (we bought Diva by mistake one year and now it's the only variety I grow), daughter grows the sweet corn, she has more room. I grow a few beets, potato onions (multipliers) and sometime carrots but most of the available garden space is used to grow beans, mostly heirloom :).

Annette

rainey

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Where is Winchester? I'm in Woodland Hills in the Los Angeles burbs.

There can be a tremendous difference in the soil and microclimates in places that are just 5 miles apart so it's very difficult to say what you'll find in Winchester. What do your neighbors' yards look like? They may give you an indication how good the soil is and what grows well in that climate.

Aha! Did a google maps search. Looks like you'll be in the UCRiverside vicinity. They have an Agriculture Dept and an Experimental Station (mostly citrus crops, I believe). They also have a demonstration garden and conduct plant sales a couple times a year. Lots of resources! Lucky you!

Last edited: