Grow your own paprika?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluebonnet's mention of Hendl got me to thinking how I really would like to make my own paprika. Since it loses its freshness and flavor so quickly, what I've bought in the store is usually not all that great. Does anyone know which varieties of red peppers would be good to grow for paprika?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hungarian Sweet - just guessing. I grew Hungarian wax for a few years - productive!

Journey, I have felt that I wasn't doing much more than adding a dash of color when I've used the store-bought. That's before this winter and learning that there is a smoked paprika. Now, I am looking forward to trying that.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going on memory which is dangerous, but I looked that up a few years back. A few years, really dangerous. There is a special pepper they grow for paprika, very likely a different peppers so you can get different flavors.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smoked paprika is my son's new 'go to' spice. He is a great cook! (something he gets from his dad :p). He made some broiled trout with smoked paprika (seasoning of some sort), YUM!

I think the paprika pepper is used for the color and thin walls so it's easy to dry, and they do come in hotter types. Now I have to look into making it, my son would get into that, if I grew the peppers. Oh, geez, here I go again... thanks @journey11 ...:p

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now you've done it Journey! Got me on a quest looking up paprika. I had actually never thought of the variety, or type you'd use before...
I love growing peppers, they seem to do pretty good for me and that boosts my garden self esteem tee hee smiley.gif .

There's an Alma Paprika pepper...suppose there's lots you could use though, as long as they were thin walled.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm...well thin walled peppers were mentioned in the few articles I read.

The questions that occurred to me as I read were, if there's not one particular type of pepper for paprika, and you can use chili peppers, (as some folks did) then, what is the difference between paprika powder and chili powder?
Oh, I guess that's just one question, but it made me wonder.

edited because there's a difference between pepper and peeper.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The biggest difference is the deep red color. There are two distinct types of paprika; sweet or hot. Mexican ancho powder is very close to the sweet. You get it by growing poblanos and letting them turn red. Surprisingly, Peter Peppers make acceptable hot paprika. They will even dry right on the plant when they ripen.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Why thin walled? Why not just dry them and grind them up?

I like to hang dry peppers. Thick walled peppers will often mold or rot inside if drying conditions are not just right, sometimes even if it is arid and warm enough. You can slice and dehydrate any pepper, but sometimes this can change the flavor, you have to dry them for a very long time to get them past the leathery stage... and I wonder how thicker flesh would affect trying to grind it to a powder? :hu
Thin walled peppers like cheyenne, (the one I am use to drying) you can just crunch them up and run it through a spice grinder, sift and grind again.

This is interesting .. Homemade Paprika ... but must find smoky pepper tips for my chef.. :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like to hang dry peppers. Thick walled peppers will often mold or rot inside if drying conditions are not just right, sometimes even if it is arid and warm enough. You can slice and dehydrate any pepper, but sometimes this can change the flavor, you have to dry them for a very long time to get them past the leathery stage... and I wonder how thicker flesh would affect trying to grind it to a powder? :hu
Thin walled peppers like cheyenne, (the one I am use to drying) you can just crunch them up and run it through a spice grinder, sift and grind again.

This is interesting .. Homemade Paprika ... but must find smoky pepper tips for my chef.. :)

Makes sense. Thanks.

Latest posts