Growing Carnations indoors.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
We love the smell of carnations and I thought I would try growing some hydroponically under grow lights so we would have some to brighten the coming dismal winter days. There was a packet of dwarf mixed carnations in my cache from when I tried growing them in the greenhouse so I used them to experiment with. They grew fine in the greenhouse but were a magnet for spider mites, so I gave up on that idea before they even had a chance to flower.

The flowers are beginning to open and they smell fantastic with only a few open. I plan on saving the seeds for each color in individual packets so I can better plan on what colors to plant.

In the meantime, I purchased a package of carnation seeds that are real dwarfs, six to eight inches, with good sized flowers.

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature, but it IS fun to try. ;)

P.S. That old song keeps going around in my head: A White Sports Coat And A Pink Carnation.

Pink carnation.jpg

carnations.jpg

Last edited:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Carnation is my favor scent of all, even when I used to use perfume Bellodgia by Caron it was my favorite, it had carnation as it's main fragrance. I think it's off the market now but it was around long before I was born. I still have some.

Annette

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those look great, Jack. They look like florists' Mini-carnations, which are a staple for a florist, long lasting, fragrant, several color choices and long cut life. One of my favorites.