Growing Garlic in zone 8a

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi all, it has been a while since I have been here. I love our new home here in GA but I am struggling with my garden. I am not sure what to do with the soil because it is sandy and poor nutrients. I have ants everywhere and there are a lot more snakes. Anyway I have a couple of raised beds this year, will put in more, and in one I have garlic and onions that I planted in Oct. It looks really good but it hasn't gone through a cold period. last year we had a cold period the end of Jan through mid Feb. What if I don't get a cold spell? Will that mess up my garlic? It is so different then where I was with zone 5b.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well I am figuring out my garden soil problems but I think my garlic is getting ready for harvest. The leaves are turning brown but it is the first of May. Is this normal in southern climates?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK thanks, the last time I planted garlic I lived in zone 5b. It is very different.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Garlic is done for the year. I pulled it last night and it is drying in the greenhouse. Not as big as I've had in previous years but since it was but it was a first for this garden.

Latest posts