Growing sweet marjoram

tinychicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Never grew sweet marjoram before and this year I bought 2 small pots to give it a try. It's still fairly cold here at night and I don't want to plant them outside yet. Trouble is, they are getting very spindly and leggy. Is that the way they're supposed to look? If not, any suggestions? Should I trim an inch or two off the top to encourage more bushy growth?

Hopefully spring will arrive shortly and bring some warmth along with it!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've started it indoors the prior two years. It always starts out thin and spindly, but does well once it's hardened off and in the garden. I didn't cut mine back, just let it do it's thing. It's not a very big plant, stays pretty close to the ground, kinda like thyme.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
tinychicken said:
Never grew sweet marjoram before and this year I bought 2 small pots to give it a try. It's still fairly cold here at night and I don't want to plant them outside yet. Trouble is, they are getting very spindly and leggy. Is that the way they're supposed to look? If not, any suggestions? Should I trim an inch or two off the top to encourage more bushy growth?

Hopefully spring will arrive shortly and bring some warmth along with it!
I know that starts get spindly from inadequate lighting so you can try putting them under a florecent light but if I remember from last year they are kinda spindling. Last year was my first year growing them and I now love them. Good luck.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
As long as you keep it alive, I think it will be o.k. I have some in the ground and it keeps sprouting all over. It's not invasive, all I have to do is pull the ones I don't want. It does have a kind of sprawling, maybe 12" tall look.

Mary

Lorelai

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I currently have mine in a container, and it seems really spindly and maybe isn't as suited to a windowsill (southern facing) as the oregano, for example, seems to be? It probably doesn't help that I overwatered it a tad... :hide

Latest posts