Grr

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I'm patiently biding my time to see if I got some bad information.

Last Father's day my wife had me pick out 2 roses from the fancy pants nursery. So I picked out 2 Flowering Plum roses. They are gorgeous lavender rebloomers and have an amazing fragrance.

Well I got a little antsy because my KO roses are just starting to put out some new growth (its a high traffic area so wanted something tough and long bloomer) so of course that prompts me to look at the other flowering plums. Not a hint of new growth.

They are grafted so I know I did my homework on them before I selected them but I decided to look again because they haven't done a thing. So of course I get conflicting hardiness reports from 5b to 7b!!!!

So of course now I'm like how did I miss this? And how do you get such a range of hardiness reports? Its on the W side of the house and I fed them well. So really hoping they will come through and I'm just being impatient but seriously the varied reports really irritated me.

I know its early and we just got spring started here so Im hoping they are just taking some time to be sure that spring is really here but come on! First year with them so of course I'm anxious to be sure they come through and do well.

Anyway needed to vent thanks for listening

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is quite a difference between zones. Been though same with Chicago Hardy fig . What is the company's warranty ? Sad that they where a fathers Day gift. Fingers cross they just break dormancy late. I have 2 tree hydrangea planted at end of driveway bought both at same time, same variety, same light and soil. One is always 2 weeks ahead of other :hu Vent away

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah they both look the same, and given the weather could very well be a late dormancy.

I was assessing things because we had a run of a bad powdery mildew that hit my Autumn Glory maple tree and my 1 of my Charles Joly lilacs last year. I treated both pretty aggressively, but fully expected to be pulling them this spring. Sure enough they both are covered in buds.

Just doing some spring clean up and trying to give things the best start I can. Plus getting rid of the thistles in the yard so nobody complains about getting stuck in bare feet by those darn things.

That little well not so little Autumn Glory is a tree I've really gotten pretty partial too. It was my Wal-Mart find or what my wife calls a "rescue" and went from a 5 1/2 foot really skinny whip to really starting to take some nice shape and fill in. And when the few remaining leaves turned its a show stopper. I keep focusing on its potential and the glimpses I've caught of it instead of what it has looked like.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with Flowering Plum but it's not unusual for different roses or different variety of other plants to break dormancy differently. So I'd be patient.

We all have out own micro-climates. Different places on the same property can have quite a bit different conditions. That western exposure should give them extra heat but they may be exposed to a cold north or west wind. Since it is grafted it is possible the top will die back and you get something from the rootstock. But that can happen even in the right zones. I had that happen with a lime tree once and likes the rootstock lime fruit much better. It was not as pretty as it had a thin skin that looked rough and made large really juicy fruit.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
So I'm patiently biding my time to see if I got some bad information.

Last Father's day my wife had me pick out 2 roses from the fancy pants nursery. So I picked out 2 Flowering Plum roses. They are gorgeous lavender rebloomers and have an amazing fragrance.

Well I got a little antsy because my KO roses are just starting to put out some new growth (its a high traffic area so wanted something tough and long bloomer) so of course that prompts me to look at the other flowering plums. Not a hint of new growth.

They are grafted so I know I did my homework on them before I selected them but I decided to look again because they haven't done a thing. So of course I get conflicting hardiness reports from 5b to 7b!!!!

So of course now I'm like how did I miss this? And how do you get such a range of hardiness reports? Its on the W side of the house and I fed them well. So really hoping they will come through and I'm just being impatient but seriously the varied reports really irritated me.

I know its early and we just got spring started here so Im hoping they are just taking some time to be sure that spring is really here but come on! First year with them so of course I'm anxious to be sure they come through and do well.

Anyway needed to vent thanks for listening
In a 5 zone I would not buy a rose that is not noted as hardy. I live near Rose Land a big nursery that sells all over the country. The roses are all carefully noted, but I have bought some because of their great beauty and they did not make it through the winter. Grafted roses need winter protection in the very least hilling over the graft. I have found the purples to be the least hardy. However I have one simple one that has lasted with winter care. I used to do a lot of winter prep. All it take is one fall where you forget or just get too busy for them to succumb. And I am in zone 7, supposedly. I will rarely buy anything valued at zone 6 even. The sellers over promise and the zone setters over estimate. One extra cold snap obliterates the ratings. I would never buy a rose at a big box store no matter how cheap. You definitely do not know what you are getting there. Most good nurseries will give you a refund for a plant that dies.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hope they start budding out soon for you Jared.

The west side of a house can be problematic in most situations because of too much heat exposure on summer afternoons, and the extra chill on winter days.

I had a Cecile Brunner climber on the west wall of my house, and it did just okay there. It never bloomed though, so I now have it on the south side and am optimistic that I'll see some flowers this year.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i always had best roses in east garden (as a kid) not far from here. the roses on the corner were most exposed and would often fail. those closer to the house would do better, but to a point...

mid-Michigan. it can get pretty cold inland away from the lakes and this is a low spot too where cold air can settle on calm nights.

no roses here, we planted 30-40 of them one year thinking they'd be ok, but this area is overrun with fogs and black spot at times of the season and they all went under after a few years. i wasn't here then to notice or take care of them to see what was going on even if i did help plant them.

i hope they come through ok, this year has been funny for sure, we still have some crocuses blooming...

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our hyacinths are just getting past their peak bloom. They are close to the house its the W side next to the porch that runs the length of the house which faces south.

I've been looking at possible replacements that are zone 4 hardy figure I'll play it super safe next time. They were in full leaves last year late too so I was reluctant to prune them back then blam we got hit with the really cold wet winter.

So who knows honestly. If they don't make it I'll be bummed but its live and learn and Ill find something I want there.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Give them some more time Jared. Roses are pretty tough. I never prune roses until they begin to leaf out in the spring. I leave them as is in the fall unless they have pretty long canes that could get whipped around by winter winds and break.

I forget if you mentioned it, but these are grafted right? Did you bury the graft when you planted?
Mounding the base of the roses for winter with that big chunky bark also helps. It insulates but won't pack down and smother the canes.
It's also a good idea not to fertilize past July so the plants can harden off before winter.

I'm really rooting for your special roses to show up soon!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They are grafted yes, and no I didn't bury the graft. I didn't get a chance to mound them because 2017 was a hot mess.

I appreciate the support

Latest posts