Grrr! grey aphids are destroying my coles!

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The grey aphids are having a field day with my Brussels, cabbage, and Kale. I Can't use pesticides because the Food Hub (Farmer's Market Store that we sell our excess to) won't buy from a farm that uses them. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them now that they are here, and preventing them nest year? My chickens just got ten pounds of the prettiest Brussels I've ever grow, they would have frozen and fed the family all year, my heart is breaking.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The grey aphids are having a field day with my Brussels, cabbage, and Kale. I Can't use pesticides because the Food Hub (Farmer's Market Store that we sell our excess to) won't buy from a farm that uses them. Any suggestions on how to get rid of them now that they are here, and preventing them nest year? My chickens just got ten pounds of the prettiest Brussels I've ever grow, they would have frozen and fed the family all year, my heart is breaking.
I think Neem works on grey aphids after a hard wash with a sprayer, and pyrethrum. I am not sure if pyrethrum is still considered organic. I soak my brussels sprouts in very warm salted water with a plate on top to hold them under water. They float away after a few rinses. You probably cannot sell them. People want organic but still expect it to look like the pesticide drenched ones. They freeze really well with a good blanch.

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think Neem works on grey aphids after a hard wash with a sprayer, and pyrethrum. I am not sure if pyrethrum is still considered organic. I soak my brussels sprouts in very warm salted water with a plate on top to hold them under water. They float away after a few rinses. You probably cannot sell them. People want organic but still expect it to look like the pesticide drenched ones. They freeze really well with a good blanch.
you are not kidding me!! It's frustrating. Our primary goal is putting up enough veg. for our family for the year. I sell my surplus, and folks are fussy!! you can't have it both ways. Good tip on the soak- these darn bugs are in every layer of those sprouts. Thanks for the help!

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Would putting pantyhose over the Brussels sprouts work for aphids, I know this has been used to discourage the cabbage worm moth from laying her eggs on them. The pantyhose expands as the sprouts mature.

Annette
that's really smart! thank you,

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
you are not kidding me!! It's frustrating. Our primary goal is putting up enough veg. for our family for the year. I sell my surplus, and folks are fussy!! you can't have it both ways. Good tip on the soak- these darn bugs are in every layer of those sprouts. Thanks for the help!
I tell my family be afraid of what you can't see-not what you can.

Latest posts