Guerilla Gardening

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Since I won't have a regular garden again this year, I plan on doing a bit of BENEVOLENT GUERILLA GARDENING.

Some may have never heard of guerilla gardening before. It's not as ominous as it sounds, especially when I plan on doing it as beneficially as possible.

You know how there are flower beds in places like parks and colleges, assorted administrative looking buildings, and around warehouses and such?

Now, some of these beds are sparsely planted, get automatically watered, and generally get very little attention at all.

Just the kind of place where a few bean seeds could be tucked into the soil, would grow, and hardly even be noticed. Heck, being a legume, they'd be beneficial to the soil there. Hardly anyone, if anyone at all, would know that inside the ripening pods would be extremely rare and beautiful beans, or brand new emerging varieties such as Chocolate Soldier.

The bush varieties will be easy, but pole varieties, hmmm, might have to plant those in the back of a bed where roses or Clematis are growing.

Has anyone any experience with guerilla gardening?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never done it, but I have thought about planting mint in the flower bed of a person I was mad at.
I think your idea is a good one, Marshall. You are right. Lots of planted spaces don't get any care or attention after planting. You could pull a few weeds while you are there.
Is your plan to go back in late summer to see if there is anything to harvest?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that idea, Marshall! :thumbsup That'll give you something to look forward to this spring in lieu of your own garden. How ya doing, btw?

I've never done any guerrilla gardening, but I think it would be fun to toss little mud-balls full of flower seeds in unexpected places. :)

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@marshallsmyth I always say when there's a will there's a way :). Mum's the word, if found out blame it on the squirrels. Actually I've planted the odd bean here and there but in my garden, up a pole I have for hanging baskets, on a trellis to scramble among clematis. I've stayed away from the roses, at least so far. Not having a large garden you're putting ideas in my head ;)
Annette

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your idea got me thinking. Are there any areas such as sideyards where you could ask if you can plant there?

Any community gardens in the area?

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It goes against my nature, Marshall :hugs.

No, I'd have to rip the clematis and rose bush out first. Lay it bare. Make the gravel jump ... you know, the American way.

Is this GOOPP? Jargon for "gardening on other people's property?" When I started this, I had to go down to the county court house before I had permission to drag a spade and hose across the alley to a vacant lot. I could still use a phone and met the owner, that way. None of my immediate neighbors even knew whether they had ever seen him or if it was just his cleanup crew who would show up every 3 or 4 years.

I was looking through a box of seed today. Inventory. May need to plant some red beans this year. I call 'em red beans because I don't have any experience with them yet. Expect to call them exceptional before 2016 is out.

Need a tomato variety that is willing and able to volunteer? And, about this "Safeway Cluster." I'm all for lowering risk but, "Safeway?" How about if I call this tomato, Corporal Cluster? No, that is too close to the chest, I need to go further ... Inter-Galactic Cluster? Cosmic Cluster?

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have never tried gardening on property without permission although I suspect there are plenty of places nearby that it could be done successfully. . . mostly in the deteriorating parts of town. Although, I suspect any cleaning up that was done would arouse suspicion. A tidy spot would be glaringly out of place. Still, there are so many empty buildings in town. There should be places suitable for such gardening.

No, digitS', I have what you don't -- enough land. The closest I've come to guerilla tactics is my dream of hanging Japanese Beetle traps a mile or so in each direction away from my property. That, too, is something I'll never do, but the dream remains alive.

I do tuck veggies in my own flower beds from time to time. Those are usually the varieties I want to lessen the chances of crossing with others. Away from the veggie garden and close to bee-attractive flowers, they usually do well.

I'll be looking for places with a new eye as I drive around today, Steve. Would this be a good place? Would that spot work? Wouldn't it be fun just to try planting veggies where they're not expected just to see if someone finds and enjoys them later in the summer? Most of the old folks living and walking nearby would probably would recognize the plants.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
@so lucky I was in a sporting goods store with my nephew, He saw a pile of salt licks for deer. His idea was to place a salt lick in my yard away from the flower beds. I said last thing I need is somethng to attract deer. He looked at me and said put it in the noisy neighbors yard. I am ashamed to say I did briefly think about it. Marshall good to see you planning on how to continue gardening.