Guerrilla gardening

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Anybody ever planted something on purpose somewhere that wasn't on your space/land?

There is a long chain link fence that is owned by a business just up the road from us. Its an 8ft fence and its maybe 6-8ft from the road.

There is some wild grape and other miscellaneous scrub growing on and near it all the way along the road. The county uses a tractor with a brush hog that they lower on an arm to keep it "mowed" usually 1-2 times a year.

Sooooo..........I got the hair brained idea to plant a honeysuckle and let it go bonkers on the fence. The fence runs long enough and seeing how its not being bothered I figured why not?

Plant it on the side the county maintains and being close enough to the fence I figure its got a good chance. The fence runs east/west so it would get a nice long southern exposure and if I gave it a good time release food and trained it to get it started............

Id plant it on my property but I don't have a fence and knowing how busy it will be with bees I don't want the kids having to avoid an area because they are all over when its in bloom.

I'm going with the help the bees idea (never mind the fragrant perks) but figured Id ask if anybody else considered it.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anybody ever planted something on purpose somewhere that wasn't on your space/land?

There is a long chain link fence that is owned by a business just up the road from us. Its an 8ft fence and its maybe 6-8ft from the road.

There is some wild grape and other miscellaneous scrub growing on and near it all the way along the road. The county uses a tractor with a brush hog that they lower on an arm to keep it "mowed" usually 1-2 times a year.

Sooooo..........I got the hair brained idea to plant a honeysuckle and let it go bonkers on the fence. The fence runs long enough and seeing how its not being bothered I figured why not?

Plant it on the side the county maintains and being close enough to the fence I figure its got a good chance. The fence runs east/west so it would get a nice long southern exposure and if I gave it a good time release food and trained it to get it started............

Id plant it on my property but I don't have a fence and knowing how busy it will be with bees I don't want the kids having to avoid an area because they are all over when its in bloom.

I'm going with the help the bees idea (never mind the fragrant perks) but figured Id ask if anybody else considered it.
I got the hairbrainded idea to drop bittersweet seed in a wild part of my woods.The brilliant orange berries were lovely in the fall. The vines wrapped around the trees, and grew up into the canopy. Soon all of the wild cedar were choked to death-what a mess. Had to have a back hoe clean up the ruined woods. The town maintains the roadways near the river, on land that I actually own and maintain. When something needs trimming back, like wild roses obstructing the traffic view over the bridge, the send some lazy know nothing to do it. What do they cut down? anything that is easy to do, like my lovely well kept forsythia. I am sure there are some great town and county employees but some not.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yeah whoever they send literally just hugs the edge of the road, with the arm extended out and runs the brush hog attachment along the edge. Anything the brush hog misses gets to keep growing.

Whoever is driving it knows he has to go a certain route the rest its just driving the big mower/tractor. Music on, its probably climate controlled, sunglasses on and just going for a slow roll.

I figured if I did something like honeysuckle it would smell really good, and up here its not one that would go to seed and overrun the county.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have trumpet flower vines on our place. They spring up from the roots, seed and thin air.

We had a bright red honey suckle on our place, but the sheep ate it. I'll replant it someday, there is plenty over the fence on the neighbor's place.

Honey suckle grows on the fence rows here, it is blooming now and smells so good. I say go for it, you will benefit from the breeze wafting the sweet smell towards your yard.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Honey suckle grows on the fence rows here, it is blooming now and smells so good. I say go for it, you will benefit from the breeze wafting the sweet smell towards your yard.

That's exactly why I want it. Plus it looks better than some stupid fence :lol:

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Make sure you get one of the scented varieties, there a a lot that don't have any fragrance whatsoever. I have the late Dutch honeysuckle, Lonicera periclymenum 'Serintina' the scent, especially in the evening is really lovely.

Annette

Latest posts