Gurney vs Parks

Rusty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I am about to place my seed order and am wondering which way to go. Do the rest of you have trouble with Gurney's seeds or is it just me and something I am doing wrong? I seem to have much better luck with Park's seeds. Is it maybe location? I'm in Alabama and Park's in SC. I don't know where Gurney is. They used to be up around Nebraska, I believe, but have since moved. When they were in Nebraska, I was in Colorado, and their seeds grew great for me. But while I was in Florida and now that I am in Alabama, I don't seem to have much luck. Many times I get nothing at all sprouting from an entire pack of seeds.

But they have such nice sales! Park never seems to have much in the way of sales. Not that I grow that much. This year's order will be lettuce, tomatoes, corn, cucumbers, petunias, geraniums, and maybe some gerbina or marigolds.

Soooo...Can anyone tell me their results from these 2 companies and whether you think my location has anything to do with my success or lack there of?

Thanks!

Rusty
:watering

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use Gurney's , am in the very s.e. corner of Alabama and have been well pleased with their service and seeds......so far.
Have "heard" many negative reports from other gardeners (on another forum) about their experiences with Park's.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ok... I have ordered from both... I'm fine with both... however I get MORE varieties for my area from Parks because they are in SC. I think you find these plants you order to be hardier for your zone... and more choices!

Gurney's has awesome deals though, I have a code if you spend $50 you only pay $25! I'll get you the code if you want... but you'll have less choices this way!

I'm hoping to order my roses or berry bushes with this code from them... then get my seed from GrowOrganic.com which has a HUGE selection of heirloom and organics and GREAT prices (just not on there fruit/ berry bushes and trees... I think that is too pricey!)

**Edited to add customer service at Parkseed is lacking extremely, and Gurney's is much nicer and easier to work with... they also answer the phone!!!**

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sadly, neither of these companies are looking good from the reviews recently.

I have loved Park seeds for many years! ...Always reliable service and germination rates for me.
Last year, however, I placed my seed order in early January... about a third (10 items) of what I ordered were on back order when my first shipment arrived. I did receive the back ordered items in time to start the seeds, mid March, but I may have been disappointed had I placed my order later.

Same thing this year... about a third is on back order... things I MUST have! ... so ... :fl

Parks has a few special items that I can't get elsewhere or for the same price... Salvia Whopper and Hotline, and Profusion Zinnias... and they always have new things or some hard to find perennial seed I am lured to.

I compare prices often and now order more of my seeds from other companies. Pintree Seeds and Swallowtail Seeds got most of my seed money this year... and I have a list of companies I have heard good things about on TEG that I would like to try next year.
Parks S&H is getting a bit outta line for me also. I have not had to deal with customer service, but it certainly seems like it needs some attention, quickly.

Gurneys ... I had horrible luck with them years ago (seeds and plants) and have not tried them again. They have cheap prices and good deals and sales, but expect to get what you pay for.

Live plants, I prefer to buy them locally, not through mail order.
I would not think that seed germination would be affected by where you live and the source of the seed.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
Parks has a few special items that I can't get elsewhere or for the same price... Salvia Whopper and Hotline, and Profusion Zinnias... and they always have new things or some hard to find perennial seed I am lured to.
Glad I read this thread. I've been looking through Parks' catalog, really soaking in all the possibilities... I was really surprised to see seed available for so many perennials when most catalogs will only sell them to you as full grown specimens and at such a hefty price to make them unattainable for me.

I may still go with Parks on a few things like that, that you can only buy started. Some things I was wondering if success would be likely starting them myself? Take cannas for example. Where else would you find canna seed? Not very common! I have some I got off a plant I found gone to seed at the county farm. I will probably try my luck with those seeds before I pay money for something like that.

Gotta spend my garden dollars wisely... Got bees and chickens to attend to as well and they take a lot of my springtime discretionary fund. Ha. :p

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Glad I read this thread. I've been looking through Parks' catalog, really soaking in all the possibilities... I was really surprised to see seed available for so many perennials when most catalogs will only sell them to you as full grown specimens and at such a hefty price to make them unattainable for me.

I may still go with Parks on a few things like that, that you can only buy started. Some things I was wondering if success would be likely starting them myself? Take cannas for example. :p
Exactly... and I love the challenge! I've started many of my perennials from seed.
Some are more challenging than vegetable or annual seed... but with a bit of research I've had very good success.
And for less than than the cost of one plant I have several to share with friends ...:)

Canna seed must be scarified, and then some soak it in hot water... bottom heat is a must, but I don't think it is too difficult.
Collected seed won't come true but still could be a nice plant and flower. I don't grow them since I would have to dig them in Fall or grow as an annual. I love them tho ... I'd like to try some of the shorter varieties, someday ... :happy_flower

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
vfem said:

I may still go with Parks on a few things like that, that you can only buy started. Some things I was wondering if success would be likely starting them myself? Take cannas for example. Where else would you find canna seed? Not very common! I have some I got off a plant I found gone to seed at the county farm. I will probably try my luck with those seeds before I pay money for something like that.

Gotta spend my garden dollars wisely... Got bees and chickens to attend to as well and they take a lot of my springtime discretionary fund. Ha. :p
Weird... that is not my Quote! LOL

That was Lavender?!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
journey11 said:
vfem said:
P.s. - I have some of the deep red Canna seed if you want some, I save them from my plants and yes, you must scarify them... I suggest soaking them in water until the sprout and moving them then into some heavily soaked peat in the house. You're going to get a bloom probably a year sooner this way.

I also have some dwarf hibiscus that Parks is selling for $5.25 for 5 seeds!!! I got plenty... they also need to scarified, and soaked then planted in peat the is sopping wet.

Just pm me!

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Rusty,
Gurney's is based in Ohio, on the border of Indiana.
Your location has a lot to do with it........mainly the type of soil you have. When I lived in PA, I could throw any kind of seed around and it would grow. I moved to VA, brought some plants with me & everything died. The soil down here is just solid clay, I've had to add tons of compost. A soil tester could help you find out if your dirt needs help.

Another factor could be the age or quality of the seeds. Seeds are divided up by size & quality (like bulbs & eggs). That's why some can offer seed cheaper than others, you are getting 'seconds'. An example would be Breck's vs. Michigan Bulb. Breck's sells top quality bulbs and is more expensive than Michigan Bulb who sells slightly smaller/less expensive bulbs. Both will grow, but the Breck's will most likely do better/be bigger.

Seed companies don't grow all of their own seed, they buy from growers all over the world. If seed is grown in CA, it may not do well in other parts of the country.

Seed companies decide what varieties to offer based on what sells best. With the pressure to make $, you'll see the more obscure varieties harder & harder to find, not to mention that the worse the economy gets, the more people want to garden, so last year almost all the companies ran out of supply earlier than anticipated. The companies make agreements with growers years in advance for a certain amount of seed, so you can't always predict customer demand.
This year will probably be the same, order early if you can.

Latest posts