Habanero pepper plants have aifids?

jmk3482

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I bought a few habanero plants a few weeks ago. They are growing fine but I noticed they are covered with tiny white and pinkish bugs. Are these afids? How can I get rid of them without harsh chemicals?

I've heard a solution of water and dish soap sprayed on the plants will get rid of bugs but not hurt the plants. Is that true?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Assuming they're aphids, and from your description it does sound likely, try just spraying them hard with the hose. Use a nozzel, or your thumb over the end to produce a brisk spray, hard enough to knock the bugs off the plants. Not so hard you strip leaves off -- you are not trying to pressure-wash your peppers <g> -- but the plants can take a LOT more spraying than the aphids can. Try to angle the hose up from below to get the undersides of leaves as well.

Do this every few days til the problem peters out.

Good luck,

Pat

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you normally have a good population of ladybugs? If not, perhaps you could release some? :) (After following Pat's instructions.)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use the spraying method that Pat described and we have a nice population of lady bugs most of the year.

Coriander can help control aphids when planted near most vegetables. As do mints, nasturtiums and onions.

I would follow the spraying directions, release some lady bugs and get a couple of mint plants in a pot and move it around your pepper plants to help keep aphids away.

Latest posts