ham and bean soup

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the post Christmas dinner tradition. sometimes we wait a while to make it but last night Mom asked me if i wanted any ham for a sandwich or anything and i had just had some more so i said no.

smells good simmering today. i'm hungry. time to go fish out a few beans and see if they're done... :)

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The vendor who hauls the landfill's waste water away always brings each of our employees a ham for Christmas every year. I cook mine for New Years and then make and freeze soup to enjoy over the next few weeks.
Usually I cram them into the little fridge here in the scale and remind folks to get theirs as they clock out. This year I was trying to leave on time so I had one of the guys take all but one up to the big fridge in the break room and posted a note at the time clock for them to remember to pick up their ham - in the break room fridge.
I had errands to run that evening so I left my ham in the little fridge here - in the scale - which is essentially my office...
The next day I opened the fridge to put lunch in.. and it was empty.

Well, someone must've needed TWO whole hams this year.....

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The vendor who hauls the landfill's waste water away always brings each of our employees a ham for Christmas every year. I cook mine for New Years and then make and freeze soup to enjoy over the next few weeks.
Usually I cram them into the little fridge here in the scale and remind folks to get theirs as they clock out. This year I was trying to leave on time so I had one of the guys take all but one up to the big fridge in the break room and posted a note at the time clock for them to remember to pick up their ham - in the break room fridge.
I had errands to run that evening so I left my ham in the little fridge here - in the scale - which is essentially my office...

:somad

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
the post Christmas dinner tradition. sometimes we wait a while to make it but last night Mom asked me if i wanted any ham for a sandwich or anything and i had just had some more so i said no.

smells good simmering today. i'm hungry. time to go fish out a few beans and see if they're done... :)
Have you ever made bean and escarole soup ? Only soup I know how to make that is safe from trip to ER

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Ohhh...:(

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy never used escarole in anything. Mom is very much stuck on using only certain things when cooking. new green leafy things, slightly bitter, she wouldn't even try it and give me a look... :) traditional bean soup, white beans (great northern or navy pea beans), celery, carrots, ham, onions. boil on very low simmer until done. i actually prefer to make the beans first and then add the other stuff towards the end when the beans are mostly done. bay leaf, which we don't have, is good. if cooking just for me i'd add cabbage, basil, garlic and a smidge of something to give it a hint of some heat.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@canesisters i'll finish the last of it today (well, we have some in the freezer for later) and will be sending warm bean soup thoughts in your direction... :)

Latest posts