Hanging basket tomatoes?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Has anyone here tried cherry toms in a hanging basket?

I did a search of the web and saw a few ideas, but I don't want to waste my time!

I also have a SIL who tried the topsy-turvy last year with disappointing results and I was thinking about making her a hanging basket if anyone thinks that may be viable.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They will do so much better in a large pot... Most of us have had disappointing results with the hanging idea.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
We tried the topsy turvey last year, it was not a very fruitful effort. None of our tomatoes did well last year though. I am sure DW will be planting them again though she does not want to admit that I was right LOL. I told her to look for a plant that wants to grow toward the earth and not the sun, and she would have better luck. It may be better if you are trying an upright hanging basket though good luck.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Biggest issue we have with any hanging baskets is keeping them from drying out. I live in Michigan so its not like I live in a very dry climate, but that alone was one more chore that we have to remember to do every day or we'd notice if we forgot.

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I thought mine did pretty well last year. Not as good the plants in the ground, but they are still fun for a conversation piece. I use a 2 gal. bucket with a 1-1/2 inch hole in the bottom. I am going to try a variety called Tumbling Tom this year.

6475_100_0535.jpg

6475_100_0241.jpg

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Cool pics! I love your ingenuity LVVCHAP!