Hardened off and then some!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I usually start most of my plants from seed. I have used Seeds of Change for years...germination was terrible this year, for some reason- so I visited a friends greenhouse out in the country. It is a lovely day at my house, warm with a slight breeze. We get up to her place and it feels like 45 degrees with a very brisk wind. We look around- and I ask where the tomatoes are. She tells me they are outside on that wagon...These things were bent right over with the wind. They look healthy as can be! They will feel like they are on a southern vacation, in my garden!
I won't plant them out until the end of the month- but I am pretty sure nothing is going to kill these things! Happy Gardening!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Marines of the tomato patch! :)
Are they a different variety than you usually start Lesa? You'll have to let us know if they perform any differently than your own regulars.

My starts spent the night out again and at 2:30 I woke to hear the wind tossing the trees and soon the rain began. Then it came down harder. I got up and the thermometer said 43 so I went back to bed, but didn't sleep worrying about bringing them all in or leaving them out.
Out won, but only because I had just washed the floors and didn't relish all the wet footprints and drippy plants all over them. I'm a bad plant mom. :(
But they look good today, so I guess i'm forgiven.:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score

The hoopies work fairly well for hardening-off.

It helps to have them running north/south. That way they can be opened for the morning sun and the plastic will protect the plants in the afternoon. This location gets way too much sun without that.

This was "packed." They are all loosened up again with more room for each plant. Most of these have been out in the morning sun for several days. They were out like this when it was 50° this morning. In fact, it's only 55° with wind gusts to 20mph. I've lowered the plastic because of that wind.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did try some different types, but stuck with the basics...it will interesting to see how these do. Glad your babies made it through the night, thistle. They are tougher than we think. See you and I think alike, Steve- I would have worried about the wind, too. I guess if you are growing tomatoes on top of a mountain they can take a little more wind!
That is a ton of tomatoes, Steve. Do you sell at a farmers market? I seem to remember you don't make sauce?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They were packed for just such a venue, Lesa.

Sudden change shakes them up. I don't know if plants get "colds." I don't know that people get colds. What is a cold?

Some plant diseases are viruses. Minor/major, in combination with other pathogens. Stress/contagion . . .

What is best? Good nutrition, clean water, fresh air, exercise . . .

:) Steve
saucemaker with surplus

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score

The hoopies work fairly well for hardening-off.

It helps to have them running north/south. That way they can be opened for the morning sun and the plastic will protect the plants in the afternoon. This location gets way too much sun without that.

This was "packed." They are all loosened up again with more room for each plant. Most of these have been out in the morning sun for several days. They were out like this when it was 50° this morning. In fact, it's only 55° with wind gusts to 20mph. I've lowered the plastic because of that wind.

Steve

I am going to copy you on this. I will turn the sawhorse and open in the morning to face east. I have been worrying about what I am going to do.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
It has been steamy hot and raining here for 3-4 days. My newly set out peppers are standing in water. Tomorrow the weather is going to take a plunge, down around low 60's for the highs. Last week when the weather was perfect, my back was "out" and I couldn't do any work in the garden. Now I keep waiting for things to dry out enough to plant the beans. Now I gotta wait some more. mumble, mumble........

Latest posts