Hardy Kiwi Vine for those in cities and cold climates!

Would you grow a hardy wiki?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
tumblr_nlrxoyg8oG1uo6e43o1_540.jpg

Frost tolerant down to zone 3.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! That is an incredible tree!! Does that produce fruit? I thought you needed a male and a female, or aren't they all like that? I have been tempted, but I have not heard good results...now, you have me wondering!

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow! That is an incredible tree!! Does that produce fruit? I thought you needed a male and a female, or aren't they all like that? I have been tempted, but I have not heard good results...now, you have me wondering!

They do need a pollinator, that is two vines (male, female) in one hole. They are all like that but Hardy Kiwi produce an all green fruit (They are smaller but taste exactly like store bought kiwi) without the fuzzy skin and grow in cold climates.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've been very tempted also, @lesa. My SIL grew them. They had them on a fence and the neighbor didn't like them growing over into their yard. They found them a little hard to keep under control, but probably didn't have the right space for them. Two years out of ten they got fruit, but it was a very pretty vine!

Kolomikta is suppose to be the most hardy here, and taste more like the brown fuzzy kiwi.

jasonvivier

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That's amazing! Are they difficult to start from cuttings? :)

Actually I don't have any experience making cuttings with these plants - but given the growth of this plant I don't think would be difficult; the assumption being that if it grows roots even at half the speed as everything else it grows it will have a supportive root system in a few weeks.

Latest posts