Hardy Kiwi

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL has a giant hardy kiwi mass of vines. They've had it over 15 years and it is probably 25' in diameter. It ate it's trellis long ago, lol. You can keep them pruned back though.

The fruit are about the size of a grape. They don't taste exactly like big green ones you get in the store, but are tart (unless you let them ripen long off the vine) and make your tongue curl a little, but they are good. We use them in quick-breads, like take a cranberry orange bread recipe and substitute. The flavor is similar to the tartness of rhubarb, actually. Really good in bread. I've also dehydrated them and eaten them like a raisin. They make loads of little kiwis, but some years we lose them if it frosts too early. Cuts it pretty close. The deer love them also, so you'll have to be prepared to defend your harvest.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy glad you like them, a couple other members this year received them of course next year some others will get them, just spreading the harvest..

if you live up north< way up north zones 5-3 yankees> heres a very interesting site into growing hardy kiwis..... sure there are others as well to delight your internet winter reading.....

https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/growing-hardy-kiwifruit/index.html

never seen hardy kiwis down here in the stores only hayward kiwis... like the idea of the hardy type is that you can eat skin and all.
would love to try some....hint hint

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have even asked this question in the past. I go back and forth on growing kiwi and for some reason I really want too. Is it worth it? Does it taste anything like kiwi in the store, I guess called tropical kiwi, the fuzzy kind?
They are sweet and delicious. No fuzz-you eat the whole thing like a large grape. However, I only got 2 good seasons out of maybe 25 years. They start off very slowly for years. and then They get terribly invasive. Pruning is a huge chore and I never really fund the trick to getting a good crop.We put a shed where they were and need a backhoe to get them out.