Hay Moose!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tis the season. They discovered the alfalfa end of the stack.

20171202_131729.jpg
Luke's worried that they won't leave any for him.

20171202_131918.jpg

This is the little bull. Last springs baby. He was starting to kneel to drink out of that puddle when he saw me and stood back up.
20171203_084510.jpg

(I'm just a little embarrassed by the winter messies that my yard is in right now.
I'm trying a different tarping method for the hay, which is a line between trees suspending the tarp, which I hoped would make the snow slide off so it doesn't pile up on top. Not really working as I hoped. I tied pallets to the sides of the tarp to stretch it tight and keep it away from the hay so the rain doesn't soak the bottom bales. That's working okay for now.)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW the baby sure has grown up. I do not blame Luke for thinking they are hogging all his hay. Did you snap the photos from inside a vehicle or the house. Brave if you ventures out!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tis the season. They discovered the alfalfa end of the stack.

View attachment 23384 Luke's worried that they won't leave any for him.

View attachment 23385

This is the little bull. Last springs baby. He was starting to kneel to drink out of that puddle when he saw me and stood back up.
View attachment 23386

(I'm just a little embarrassed by the winter messies that my yard is in right now.
I'm trying a different tarping method for the hay, which is a line between trees suspending the tarp, which I hoped would make the snow slide off so it doesn't pile up on top. Not really working as I hoped. I tied pallets to the sides of the tarp to stretch it tight and keep it away from the hay so the rain doesn't soak the bottom bales. That's working okay for now.)
I didn't notice any mess. So the moose and your horse don't mind each other? Cool.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So the moose and your horse don't mind each other? Cool.

They aren't exactly buddies, though Luke doesn't panic like he did last year. Last year he would hardly go in his shelter if he had an inkling that the moose were anywhere near, and would tear around the corral when they got that close. I worried about him trying to jump out.
The moose don't worry about anything. They know they rule.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
WOW the baby sure has grown up. I do not blame Luke for thinking they are hogging all his hay. Did you snap the photos from inside a vehicle or the house. Brave if you ventures out!

I stepped out on the patio. As long as you don't approach the calf, Old Ma is pretty complacent, but she doesn't take her eyes off you. If her hackles start going up you know you've outstayed your welcome.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Look Ma, I have two heads!

This is a different cow with twins. So she's twice as crabby as the one with the little bull calf.

View attachment 23403

View attachment 23404
Most parents are more crabby with twins than single children. Never a break. What one doesn’t think to do, the other one does. Plus they have 2 brains amping up great thoughts—to them...