Heat, gonna be Okay?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll just do what i can earlier in the day until it gets too hot then siesta the rest of the day. when it gets that hot outside i'll get sick if i stay outside. i used to love it when it got hot outside, never needed AC. had a small fan for the days when there wasn't enough of a breeze but otherwise just drank a lot of water and wore very few clothes. :-o

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll just do what i can earlier in the day until it gets too hot then siesta the rest of the day. when it gets that hot outside i'll get sick if i stay outside. i used to love it when it got hot outside, never needed AC. had a small fan for the days when there wasn't enough of a breeze but otherwise just drank a lot of water and wore very few clothes. :-o
Ha, So I'm a not the only OLDSTER that can't take the heat anymore! ;)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I never could take the heat. It was only many years later, like age 38, I found out I have MS. Ahhh...that explains it.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bought another AC this week, as the one we bought last year is the tiniest one you can get. Now have both installed so the little one doesn't have to work so hard. We had never had AC here before last year, but have accepted the new norm is HOT and then STINKING HOT for a few months out of the year, so might as well prepare for it.

As for the garden...already prepared for that by covering it with a deep layer of mulch hay. We've had rain for nearly every day for the past several weeks, so the soils are good and watered, the hay should retain that well enough. If it doesn't, there isn't much I can do about it...we are on a well, so no watering of the garden can happen if we want to have water for our own use.

If it turns out that the mulch is not going to be enough for the garden nowadays, I'll plan for that next year by catching rainwater during the rainy months.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bought another AC this week, as the one we bought last year is the tiniest one you can get. Now have both installed so the little one doesn't have to work so hard. We had never had AC here before last year, but have accepted the new norm is HOT and then STINKING HOT for a few months out of the year, so might as well prepare for it.

As for the garden...already prepared for that by covering it with a deep layer of mulch hay. We've had rain for nearly every day for the past several weeks, so the soils are good and watered, the hay should retain that well enough. If it doesn't, there isn't much I can do about it...we are on a well, so no watering of the garden can happen if we want to have water for our own use.

If it turns out that the mulch is not going to be enough for the garden nowadays, I'll plan for that next year by catching rainwater during the rainy months.

mulch will definitely help hold that moisture in. also if your location is exposed some windbreaks (not shading the plants but barriers a bit aways) will also help cut down on evaporative losses.

collecting rainwater is a great supplement to watering/rains.

if your soil is primarily sand find some clay. a few % will help sandy soil hold moisture and also nutrients. if you keep adding the organic materials it will be prime garden soil. :) go light with the clay. too much gets messy, but i'd really not want too sandy of soil in comparison.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

mulch will definitely help hold that moisture in. also if your location is exposed some windbreaks (not shading the plants but barriers a bit aways) will also help cut down on evaporative losses.

collecting rainwater is a great supplement to watering/rains.

if your soil is primarily sand find some clay. a few % will help sandy soil hold moisture and also nutrients. if you keep adding the organic materials it will be prime garden soil. :) go light with the clay. too much gets messy, but i'd really not want too sandy of soil in comparison.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee for me also having an extra 20-25lbs doesn't help. gotta get this off more this summer.

hard to do if i keep hiding inside all day on these hot days... :)

Latest posts