Hedge

Land of Lincoln

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to the site here and have a question I'm hoping to have answered. I have several hedge trees lining one side of my property and the hedge apples right now are still falling from them. I have no idea what to do with them or if they're good for anything? I typically walk the row with a bucket in hand and pick them up with a poker stick I constructed and take them to work and toss them into the dumpster.

I was wondering if I could toss them into my compost pile? I really don't know what to do with them and wasn't sure of composting because of that glue like substance that they're known for having on them. I know they break down and stink to high heavens if you leave them in a bucket for too long. Just wondering if there's any real use for them or can toss in the compost?

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have a few hedge apples along our property. The deer seem to like them! Yes they do rot pretty quickly. Can't think it would hurt to put them in the compost. Some people swear if you put them in crawl spaces, etc... that they keep away spiders and mice.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi @Land of Lincoln ! Welcome! :frow
I know nothing about hedge apples, although I was introduced to a few when I visited my sis in MO.

I agree that it seems they would do fine in the compost if you have other stuff in there so it's not overwhelmingly hedge apples.

Aren't hedge apples Osage Orange, or am I thinking of something else?
Supposed to be very good wood for fences I understand.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen some beautiful jewelry made from slices of Osage Orange fruit. Covered in thick polyeurathine I believe. The hedge apples here seem to rot quickly once they get a frost. I'd have no problem with them in the compost pile.

Welcome, @Land of Lincoln, from Smart Red who is gardening just North of the Cheddar curtain. Glad to have you growing with us.

Land of Lincoln

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and the warm welcome.

@Carol Dee - I'm in central IL between Springfield & Champaign, pretty well centrally located. We have deer here too but they seem to like the rhubarb much better than the hedge apples because they've destroyed the 2 plants I have. I've heard of using them for spider control but just haven't tried that but we do have several spiders here.

@thistlebloom - Yes, I've seen hedge used as fence posts as I believe its very hard, I think a lot of people like to burn it as well because it burns pretty hot. I'm not very well versed in identifying trees but do know that those are hedge trees.

@Smart Red - Howdy neighbor to my north, I've been to Wisconsin Dells but it's been years.

I've always had an interest in growing things but don't have nearly as much experience as you all. I've finally got a house again with a little bit of land that's pretty much a blank pallet plant wise, so I'm anxious to get some life into the property. I've got a few grape vines that were here when I moved in and a couple of raised beds so I'm hoping to put some vegetables in the raised beds come spring and perhaps build some raised bed for some other things I'd like to grow.

I built a compost bin out of some old pallets I got from work and I've been adding shredded leaves, twigs, grass clippings and some kitchen scraps so I just thought that maybe the hedge apples could go in there as well but just wasn't sure about them. I would chop them up a bit so they can break down a little quicker as they're a tad bigger than a softball.

My wife calls me "the wife" because I love to garden, cook, and keep things tidy. I've been called worse! :)

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember a photo shoot might have been Ralph Lauren, large wooden bowl was filled with Hedge Apples used as a center piece. Don't know how long would last inside

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome Land of Lincoln! I've never heard of hedge apples so I'm getting educated here. Blank slates are the best cause now you can do whatever you want. Can't wait to hear what you plant in the spring.

Mary

Land of Lincoln

Leafing Out
Reaction score
IMG_1320.JPG IMG_1319.JPG

@ninnymary - these are hedgeapples (this is what we call them here and what I know them as)

Latest posts