hedge

thedeacon

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I need to establish a windbreak hedge. Looking for an evergreen, that is fast growing and not over 30 ft untrimmed. Zone 4.

Any ideas.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Before you decide- look around and see what the deer eat! No sense, in spending money and time to feed them! Cedar seems to be a favorite of theirs around here...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
And cedars are one of the few things the deer around here seem to not eat. Maybe because they like my hickory, maple, and fruit trees so much better. A few days ago my wife and a friend were driving up our little valley. This is a lady that feeds deer and wants to attract them. Luckily she lives a few miles away. They counted over 50 deer in a pasture field across from my garden and orchard. She agreed that was too many. Lesa, sounds like you may have some similar experiences.

Thedeacon, I'm not familiar with that zone. I suggest you call your county extension agent, in the phone book under county government, and discuss it with someone at that office. I think they could give you some pretty good ideas.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Green Giant is a fast grower, but if you have deer, watch out, , because at least around here they're deer candy! And they won't grow back from bare wood, so once eaten they can be ugly for a long, long time.
Leyland cypress is a good evergreen hedge.
Privets come in a wide variety and they are fast growers. Oh, but I see you're in z4, so that won't work.
There's incense cedar, which grow pretty fast if they have water, and canadian hemlock, but they would eventually grow over 30'.
Chris probably nailed it with the Green Giant arborvitae. ;)