Hello from Atlanta

April VanMansfeld

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to expanding my gardening efforts in the coming months by adding tulups and gladiolus to my flower beds, finally creating the fern garden of my dreams, transferring the herb garden to the backyard and tilling up a patch for a fruit and vegetable garden. With all of that on the to do list I realized it would be a good idea to find a group of like minded folks to share and exchange ideas.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
:frow Welcome from Arkansas, glad you joined. :frow

Tell us a bit about the area you have to work with and what veggies, fruit, and such you are interested in. You mention tilling up a patch, which is what I do, but if you are in suburbia raised beds may be something to consider. There are people on here that grow in all kinds of ways. It sounds like you've grown some things, flowers at least, so you might have an idea of what you are getting into.

My first suggestion is to figure out why you want to grow these things so you can then work on what and how much. Then start kind of small with room to expand. You might be surprised at how much you can grow in a fairly small area and you might be overwhelmed with how much time it takes. Don't burn yourself out before you learn some of the tricks to make it easier. And start your compost now. Every gardener should have a compost pile of some sort.

So brew up a cup of your favorite winter beverage, relax, and jump right in. Make your self to home. And once again :frow

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
hello and welcome from the north. :)

i really love tulips and unfortunately clay, fogs, deer, rabbits, etc. also all like them or give them troubles. at one time i had about 70 different varieties and had plans of cross breeding them. i still like them, but have downsized as the gardens have been plundered.

that far south i wonder how well tulips will do, it seems they like some cold. however if you are going to be planting them it might be a little late now for the next spring. i've planted them here right up until the day before the ground freezes. down that far i'm not sure they'd have enough time to develop properly... hmm...

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from SE Missouri. You will find lots of interesting and informed folks here. And all are willing to share their knowledge.
Do you live right in Atlanta? It seems like when ever I see a big photo spread in a magazine (or on TV) about a beautiful garden, it is either in Atlanta or Portland OR, or San Diego. Sigh.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Eastern Iowa where the Mississippi River runs east to west. Yes, please tell us more about you , where you live and what you hope to do in the garden. Post photos anytime. We LOVE photos!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho April V! :frow
I'm a fern lover too. Will be interested in your progress there.
I have some ferns, but they are just kind of tucked in here and there. I planted a fern container for one of my clients that I was pretty happy with. The ferns I used however are not hardy up here, so I brought them home and they are currently in my office, looking ok. Alive though!
Jump in and chat! Just try to be kind to those of us living in frostier regions, haha!

(It looks like the Southerners scored another member to taunt us @seedcorn )

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Welcome from north Idaho April V! :frow
I'm a fern lover too. Will be interested in your progress there.
I have some ferns, but they are just kind of tucked in here and there. I planted a fern container for one of my clients that I was pretty happy with. The ferns I used however are not hardy up here, so I brought them home and they are currently in my office, looking ok. Alive though!
Jump in and chat! Just try to be kind to those of us living in frostier regions, haha!

(It looks like the Southerners scored another member to taunt us @seedcorn )
Welcome to forum.

We can hope she is one of the good ones. We know we have enough of the bad ones- Bay & Major-plus a few that will go nameless.. they can’t all be evil....:lol::hide

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Another Hello from North Idaho :frow
You sure came to the right place, the collective knowledge here is staggering!
Can't wait to see your gardens, pics would be lovely and since my gardens are under a foot of snow they would be super welcome right about now!

Latest posts